Art is Where You Find It

Muse=God

In the 1960’s, the Beatles infiltrated American airwaves and revolutionized the genre of Rock and Roll. Nearly 50 years later, another band from England has taken America by storm. Although Muse is not currently a household name, there’s no doubt in this writer’s mind that it soon will be. Black Holes and Revelations, the band’s latest album, is its best yet–a superb perpetuation of an innovative style that eludes the mundane, obliterates the perfunctory, and transcends the genre. The album’s first song, ironically entitled “Take a Bow,” embodies the band’s essence—it is a song that personifies the nebulous style that one has come to associate with Muse, a powerful mixture of rock, pop and techno. With Matthew Bellamy on vocals, lead guitar and piano, Chris Wolstenholme on bass, and Dominic Howard on drums, the trio blends flawlessly in nearly every song. In “Invincible,” one of the album’s more somber pieces, the steady military-esque drumbeat dances delicately with Bellamy’s vocals. The album is essentially a roller coaster ride of emotional peaks and troughs. The tranquility of “Soldier’s Poem” is juxtaposed masterfully with the raw, enveloping power of “Map of the Problematique.” Other songs, such as “Starlight” and “Hoodoo” demonstrate the unparalleled power of Bellamy’s vocals. “Knights of Cydonia” places a bow atop this masterpiece of an album. Most rock bands in the modern era have become overly dependent on excessively heavy guitar riffs and mundane drumbeats. “Black Holes and Revelations” shatters the mold. Some might call it Alternative Rock, but it’s difficult to categorize perfection. 

1 Walter Zielkowski { 12.06.08 at 3:32 am }

Never heard of ’em

2 cbao { 12.06.08 at 3:48 am }

Same.

3 coreytrippiedi { 12.06.08 at 4:09 am }

You guys are jerks.

4 coreytrippiedi { 12.06.08 at 4:10 am }

And Daft Punk sucks.

!

5 Walter Zielkowski { 12.06.08 at 4:12 am }

Never heard of ’em.

6 dianeeex3 { 12.06.08 at 4:35 am }

it doesn’t matter what these two think. I know who Muse is because I have real taste in music. Apparently, you do too Corey 🙂 But I’m certainly not as obsessed as you…

7 coreytrippiedi { 12.06.08 at 5:10 am }

Dear Diane,

You’re amaaazing. It’s hard to even consider the opinion of a man who has like 3 iPods but hates listening to music….

8 cbao { 12.06.08 at 5:15 am }

This post makes me feel like I’m drowning. Asphyxiated…

9 Walter Zielkowski { 12.06.08 at 5:23 am }

4 Ipods if you include the 512Mb shuffle I found last winter. And a Zune that I got for Christmas last year-gathering dust. Almost thought about buying that 80GB classic 6th generation Ipod on slickdeals today…$169 shipped, but I decided I have enough Mp3 players that I’m not using.

Seriously though, I have an open mind about things. How about I give you one of those extra Ipods, you take it home, fill it with 2 gigabytes of Muse (and maybe some of that Piano Man guy), and I’ll see if they’re really as good as you make them out to be.

Sorry Chang, I’m not sure if I’m ready for Daft Punk yet, although the shuffle needs some songs too…

10 coreytrippiedi { 12.06.08 at 5:26 am }

Chang,

You’re something beautiful. A contradiction.

Walter,

I’m beginning to think you’re using the blog as a means by which to procrastinate. I don’t condone such behavior. And I think you left out that 512 Sandisk player you found junior year at Tech. Why do you forget to mention such things?

How dare you refer to the immortal Billy Joel as “that Piano Man guy?” I am grossly offended. You don’t deserve to be Daft Punk-ing. Stick to Immortal Technique…

11 Walter Zielkowski { 12.06.08 at 5:52 am }

And how much work have you done in the past 2 hours Mr. Trippiedi?

And about the 512MB sandisk…I was trying not to mention the more generic brands of mp3 players that I have found over the years. But if we really want to get into detail, I also found a silver 4GB Ipod-Mini in the weight room on a carnival cruise I went on about 3 years ago, but the guy who lost it came around looking for it so I gave it back. He had the language set to Spanish, so I didn’t really want it anyway. And I would have an additional 2GB Nano to add to the 2 I already have, but I gave the one my friend gave me for my birthday to my sister.

As for Billy Joel, I recall hearing the name at some point in my life. However, I really couldn’t come up with what he looked like until I Googled his name. “Piano Man” suits him well.

And apparently Immortal Technique has some pretty good songs. I mean, a guy who sold out shows from the West to the East coast references him in his 2-hour-long independent play, so there must be something to him. Wouldn’t you think so?

Ok, so you called me out on the procrastination thing and you’re right in your accusation. I have about 30 pages worth of essays due next week, and I’ve finished about 2 of them.

Good day. Good night. Good luck. Much love.

12 miji0926 { 12.07.08 at 3:41 am }

I agree with one of your last sentences that modern rock relies on heavy guitars. I find myself always stuggling to find a mild-form of rock that my ears can take.

13 coreytrippiedi { 12.07.08 at 4:09 am }

Well I’d always suggest Muse 😀

But if that’s not your style and you’re into more melodic stuff, I’d go with The Killers, Coldplay, or Oasis…

14 cbao { 12.07.08 at 5:27 am }

I think we’ve ignored a pretty integral part of this blurb.

Corey conjectures that

Muse = God

Corey is an atheist.

I’ll leave the rest up to interpretation.

15 Walter Zielkowski { 12.07.08 at 5:37 am }

I feel his conjecture is pretty harsh, especially since there are several religious people frequenting this blog.

16 katherinepark90 { 12.07.08 at 10:40 pm }

Sorry Corey, but I have never heard of them, except that one time you mentioned it during the interview with Zoe. But if it’s rock music minus all the heavy LOUD guitar music, then I’ll go listen to them, one day.

17 leliaxtan { 12.08.08 at 4:13 am }

“Corey is an atheist.” NICE ONE CHANG.

I first heard of Muse through you, Corey. Yet, your enthusiasm and hype for the topic make me not want to listen to them. Maybe because of the possibility that I would be disappointed if I didn’t love them as much as you do. And as always, you have great vocabulary that I have trouble understanding. Haha.

You must log in to post a comment.