Art is Where You Find It

Museum of Arts and Design

Podcast
museum-arts-and-design

Everyday ordinary objects are turned into works of art, giving them a “Second Life”, as the title of an exhibit at the Museum of Arts and Design states. The innovative designs show the creative artwork held, making it a valuable experience if one wishes to view unique artwork. A common result is the production of uniquely styled furniture. These are scattered throughout the museum and particularly caught my attention because of the creative way they transformed the intended purpose of an item into something else. In a society in which natural resources are used to produce objects that are then thrown away, recycling and reusing materials helps our environment.

One such furniture is Johnny Swing’s “Quarter Lounge”, made from hundreds of quarters and stainless steel. When I first saw it, I wondered how a lounge made from quarters would be able to hold and support a person. Upon closer inspection, there is a stainless steel foundation that provides the backbone and structure of the art piece. The quarters, some more traditional with the bald eagle on the back and others being newer state quarters, are positioned in such a way that gaps were prevalent on the surface. However, the texture is smooth and it looks like a comfortable piece of furniture to use. The artist includes a double meaning, which is the relationship between art and commerce. Currency is designed and can be considered as artwork, but many people do not view it as such. The manufacturing of a lounge makes it easier to view quarters as artwork.

Willie Cole’s “Loveseat” is an eye-catching couch because of the bright colors that appeal to the senses. It is made from heels and other material used to reinforce the shoes. It is probably uncomfortable if one were to sit on it because the seat consists of the shoe tips pointing upwards. The artist’s intended meaning is to show a woman’s fetish with objects. On the front of the couch, the sole of the shoes protrude, signaling a woman’s tendency to require protection and to be territorial.

The last of these pieces of furniture is Tom Price’s “Meltdown Chair.” It is produced from white pipes that were placed closely together with one end heated and melted. The shape formed from the melted pipes sticking and eventually cooling together is in the form of a chair seat. The non-altered ends of the pipes are still visible, sticking out of the base of the chair.

All of these pieces of furniture are out of ordinary and show the many uses of everyday objects. These original designs make the Museum of Arts and Design an exceptional setting to view more modernized pieces of artwork.

1 Walter Zielkowski { 12.11.08 at 2:50 am }

Nice review and podcast. Your voice is perfect; you should get a job as the guy in the museum they record for those walking tour cassettes.

We took completely different approaches, which is nice because it brings a little bit of individuality to our reviews on the same Museum.

Also-where did you manage to find those pictures? Did you take them at the museum? I searched for a while and I couldn’t find them online. I guess it just gives you a one-up on my review then :P.

2 sophling { 12.11.08 at 7:00 pm }

Nice descriptions of each piece of furniture and your overall impressions of each of them!

You must log in to post a comment.