Art is Where You Find It

Union Square Holiday Market

Union Square Holiday Market

The peppermint tents at Union Square lined up in semi-circles, are finally back for this year’s Christmas season. There are over a hundred shops located in this tiny market with limitless possibilities of amazing gifts. It was a wonderful shopping experience to get unique one-of-a kind gifts as well as to beat the crowded lines at department stores.

Usually when I go to little markets I find that they tend be boring and somewhat plain. However, seeing the various colorful and well-lit shops at Union Square changed my opinion. A person can get a gift for everyone they know at the market. The holiday market includes the usual cold weather accessories that are a safe gift choice. However, this is the place to get gifts that are truly different. For those who are looking to give jewelry as gifts there were many different handmade jewelry shops ranging from real gold to plain basic beadings. People who have too much jewelry can even find gold-rimmed jewelry holders on miniature mannequins. In addition, those who like to collect souvenirs from different countries can find a shop that sells a diverse collection of souvenirs from around the world.

Candle lovers will find beautiful handmade salt rock candles of multiple shapes and sizes as well as heavily decorated gel candles with preserved plants and flowers. Fancy blown glass ornaments and housewares are perfect for any family. The businessman can even find pens of any design and shape. This holiday market also has suitable gifts for children as well. The Sesame Street and Avenue Q lovers will adore the cute and dressed up puppets at the puppet shop. In addition, there were adorable teddy bear and duck coin banks to encourage young children to save. For the difficult teen, you’ll find funky and exclusive bags to carry around schoolbooks. While I was shopping I also stopped by a cupcake shop that sold miniature cupcakes the size of a quarter that came in chocolate and vanilla. I don’t believe it was worth the price that the owner asked for, however the cupcakes very pretty to look at. In addition I had freshly made strawberry Belgium waffles at Wafels and Dinges shop stall that I recommend everyone to try.

Most importantly, the holiday markets will probably never be as annoying as the interminably long lines at the department store. The stores owners were very friendly and helpful in helping me pick out gifts. I was able to quickly purchase my items and surprisingly, some stalls did accept credits cards. It is a wonderful place to find bargains as well as fancy, luxurious gifts at affordable prices.

Overall my experience at the Union Square Holiday Market was a memorable one. I loved all the unique store displays and gifts that were there and the friendly shop owners who were eager to help customers. I do believe this will be my holiday-go-to place for gifts and personal shopping. Everyone should go visit the Union Square Holiday Market to see the fascinating gifts they have.

1 joycet { 12.11.08 at 3:16 am }

I loveeeee the Union Square Markets and I definitely agree with you on how unique these Markets are compared to most markets. Every year i see these little shops lined up in Union Square, and although most of the time they sell the same things every year, I can always find something that catches my eye as i browse through these shops. I will definitely check out your recommendations!

2 dianeeex3 { 12.11.08 at 5:50 am }

I ALWAYS walk by the markets but I’ve never actually took the time to look through them. After I read that they sell candles ( I collect candles!), I’m definitely going to check it out!!

3 coreytrippiedi { 12.11.08 at 10:34 pm }

You collect candles? That’s pretty amazing.

4 allisonlouie { 12.12.08 at 1:36 am }

I went to the Market earlier in the season and I have to say it seemed pretty lame at that time — but it sounds like a lot more interesting shops have opened up by now! I’ll be sure to check out some of the stops you’ve recommended. :]

5 zoesheehan { 12.21.08 at 10:39 am }

Nancy, there’s an article about the shops in today’s NYTimes that you might enjoy – http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/nyregion/thecity/21marke.html

6 nancywong { 12.22.08 at 5:43 pm }

Thanks Zoe!

You must log in to post a comment.