Art is Where You Find It

Guggenheim Museum

The visit to the Guggenheim museum was an interesting one. I was amazed to see many different pictures and sculptures by Louise Bourgeois. Something that was even more surprising to me was that one person was able to complete all the art. The museum itself is very big and is filled with different kinds of art.  Some of them were the type of paintings and sculptures you see in your everyday life, but some were very appealing. There were several paintings and sculptures that caught my eye.

One of the sculptures shown in the museum was something that looked like a spiral with a woman coming out from the bottom of the spiral. The top half of her body, however, was covered, as if it were being devoured. What is so unique about this sculpture is that it is so ambiguous and could have several meanings to it depending on how a person interprets it. At first, it was seen as if the woman were part of the single spiral. Looking at it more carefully, you can see that it was not one spiral, but it was two. The woman not only seems to have been covered by the spiral, but she seemed to have been part of the spiral. Her arm was connected to one part, while her other arm and stomach were connected to the other part. However, there was one thing I forgot to see, which I assumed to be part of the museum. There was a black circular flat surface on the ground which looked like a protection, just incase the sculpture fell at first. Learning that it was part of the sculpture, I assumed that the spiral was not devouring the woman, but it was setting the woman free into a dark world, possibly a world full of cruelty and darkness. However, in the end, it was impossible to say what the artist was really meant to portray through the sculpture.

There were several interesting paintings. However, the two I found interesting was not by Bourgeois, but instead, by different artists (names of whom I was unable to write). One painting consisted of fruits. It looked like such a simple picture. It looked easy to draw and easy to color. Actually, it probably WAS is easy to paint, but, it would take a different kind of artist, an artist who thinks out of the box, to paint something like this. It was a painting of fruits, with simple colors. However, when looking at the peach to the far right, it consisted of very intricate colors. While the others were colored with one or two shades, the peach on the right was colored with several different shades and colors. The reason the painter did this, I have no clue. I do wish to find out one day though.
The other painting was a painting that was separated into two pictures, which was to be put up on two doors. It is very complex but seems a little watery. You can tell by the painting, that it was drawn a while ago and the lines are not straight. It is unsure whether it was to be drawn like that or it was just the type of brush she used which made it come out like that. It is a picture of a park. The picture itself was not fascinating though. What was weird was the way the picture was split into two. If you were to connect the two paintings side by side, then they would not complete the picture. The picture was meant to have a space in the middle that could be filled with more paintings to complete it. When I saw it from afar, it looked like two different pictures, but after examining it from up close, I thought to myself, “What a piece of art”.

Walking up the museum, nothing seemed to disappoint me. Or so I thought. I walked up to find myself in front of a table that had glass cups, and science glasses on it. What was the point of this drawing? I thought it might have a deeper meaning so I read the description. After reading the description, I was very disappointed to find myself reading about something that was easily seen. It was just what I had described it as. Why this is in the museum, I have no clue. Although this is art, this should not be something that should be in the museum because Bourgeois did not make the cups, nor did she make the table.

Overall, the museum was a place to visit. Disregarding the broken headphones, the long walk, the closing down of specific rooms, and no permission to take pictures, the experience at the Guggenheim was a memorable one. I recommend everyone to visit this museum and bring a sketchbook with them. This way, you can easily share some of the paintings to others.

You must log in to post a comment.