Art is Where You Find It

Panic at the Comedy Club

I’m sure everyone reading this has received those annoying comedy club fliers handed out on the street without paying much attention to them. The people giving out those fliers either come off too strong or too weak in their sales pitch to interest me. However, my friend managed to drag me out of the house on a boring Friday last week to go a comedy club. I can’t remember the name of the club, but it’s probably better that way.  I’m not feeling too bad about that. Effort is always appreciate, but these amateurs had simply relied on certain key words (read: swear words) to elicit laughter. I had written in the NYT post that this is the generation of degeneration for comedy, and this was definitely one of the reasons I feel this way. Clean comics are the best, relying on witty tact rather than shock value to get laughs. So ladies and gentlemen, if Brian Regan (clean comic, search on youtube) comes to town, go check it out; otherwise, be reserved about seeing random amaetur comics.

1 coreytrippiedi { 09.23.08 at 11:29 pm }

Don’t know Chang…..have you ever seen Robin Williams do stand-up? He’s incredibly funny….and he uses lots and lots of profanity. But I can see where you’re coming from.

And you forgot ! after Panic. 🙁

2 Walter Zielkowski { 09.24.08 at 12:23 am }

I can understand where Chang’s coming from. I mean, I always expect there to be some vulgarity in comedy acts, but it has been getting a bit out of hand. I know that some shows I see on TV have so many words bleeped out that at some points you can’t even understand what they’re talking about.

3 cbao { 09.24.08 at 12:25 am }

Darn, missed the exclamation…! One thing I tried to do in this blurb was to distinguish those who use profanity and those who absolutely rely on it. Plenty of comedians have built entire careers on profanity ( the late George Carlin for example), but through integration, rather than dependency. Although, I can definitely see where you may interpret that I dislike dirty comics completely, sorry for the ambiguity.

You must log in to post a comment.