Art is Where You Find It

This week in NYTimes Arts, 10/3-10/5

What have you found of interest in the NYTimes Arts section? Add your comments to this post. I encourage you to leave multiple comments, and to comment freely on others’ ideas.

1 nancywong { 10.03.08 at 2:08 pm }

From the Friday NYT “Provocative Duo, Naked and Natty” was an article about two artists who create some of the most bizarre works of art that can’t be missed. I thought it was really interesting how these two guys have worked together for 40 years and they repeatedly used the same suits which also about 40 years old. They are really up to date with the current events. Their art works are inspired by what’s happening at the time. I thought “Fates” and “”Bomber” were interesting. “Fates” had to do with the hiphop popularity at the time. You have both the artist holding up peace signs which could considered ghetto-hip hop gestures. Then on the side you have two men in hip hop fashion. “Bomber” was also interesting because you have the two artists again in the photo with a bunch of headlines about London Bombing which was related to the London Terror Bombings at the time. I think these two artists are very daring. Their artwork is definitely loud and bizarre which makes them very unique from other artists.

2 joycet { 10.03.08 at 2:40 pm }

In today’s NYT, I found the article “Classic Modern: 20th-Century Antiques” interesting. Apparently there is the International Art & Design Fair that is being held at the Park Avenue Armory through Wednesday. This fair contains art designs ranging from chairs and tables to bowls and vases and other household collectibles. The article also talked about vintage jewelries that would be showcased at the fair that include diamond earrings that are described to be closed to perfection. It is interesting how the article mentioned how there weren’t really any fine arts at the fair, only some that are coming from Asia. This article made the fair sounds really attractive and I would love to go check it out. Unfortunately, there is an admission fee of $20 and I doubt I will buy any antiques from the booths. I guess I’ll stick with visiting art museums instead.

3 zoesheehan { 10.03.08 at 3:49 pm }

Joyce, if you’re interested in design you might check out the newly-redesigned-and-reopened Museum of Arts and Design, at Columbus Circle. The building is newly redesigned on the outside and inside (it was one of the buildings described in Nicolai Ouroussoff’s article last week on buildings he’d like to see torn down – you be the judge!). There are some interesting new exhibits and a strong permanent collection as well. Entry is free with your Cultural Passport.

4 heajungyang { 10.04.08 at 11:38 am }

In Friday’s NYT I liked the article “French Taste Meets American Moxie”. I find it interesting when different cultures come together in art, especially when Western culture meets Eastern culture because the two are so different. There are displays of jewelry, shoes, furniture and evening gowns. There are also different architectural designs of Paris and New York. It would be fun going through the exhibit and finding the similarities and differences of the two cultures. The art piece where the French ship is sailed into Times Square was unique. It puts the two cultures together and the idea of a ship in the middle of New York City is just interesting.
I also read “Provocative Duo, Naked and Natty”. Like Nancy said I like how they deal with current events. It helps us relate to the art more. In general the art are very different from the arts I have seen.

5 leliaxtan { 10.04.08 at 3:51 pm }

I read “The Exquisite Agony of Love, With a Movie Star and a Choreographer” on the Times today. It’s about a dance performance in London, which plays until October 20. Judging from the review, I find the storyline to be very vague. Not much seems to be happening, except dancing. This reminds me of “Fall for Dance” when the dancers are just dancing without telling a story (at least to me). I normally enjoy watching dances, but would prefer it if it was a choreographed group rather than just 2 people. There was a part in the dance where Ms. Binoche, female lead, is hung on a wall by what seems to be nothing. She then positions herself to represent the crucifixion of Jesus. I found this part very interesting. Other than that, the reviewer also describes Mr. Khan, male lead, as not performing to his full potential. I sure hope that changes because who would want to pay to watch someone that doesn’t really care?

6 dianeeex3 { 10.04.08 at 5:17 pm }

While skimming over arts articles, I learned that ‘Hairspray’ the musical is going to close in January! I had assumed that it had been doing well but I guess not…

Anyway, I read a dance review titled “Bagwell in Me.” The Bagwell in Me is a performance that is currently running at the Abrons Arts Center. However, based on the review, I wouldn’t go. The show is described as terribly dull and unpredictable. The performance is very different from any other, due to its heavy reliance on sexual acts. Even the costumes are designed to reveal the genital areas, shocking the audience. I think that the underlying meaning behind the dance itself is interesting. It tells a fictional story about George Washington’s affair with his African American slave. Although that seems like an interesting plot, the dance itself is described as boring.
The writer also describes another performance at the center called “Sleeping Giant.” This dance received better reviews. It tells the story of two brothers, one of whom becomes rooted in the earth. The audience is transported through various scenes. I found this confusing because I have no idea how this relates to the story of the two brothers. The writer comments that the performance is an allegory for American life and values. But he doesn’t let the audience know exactly how it’s an allegory. I’m confused.

7 allisonlouie { 10.05.08 at 12:05 pm }

When I saw the article “A Cappella Dreaming: 10 Voices, One Shot” in the 10/3 New York Times, I knew a certain friend of mine would be thrilled – very, very thrilled indeed. An avid fan of a cappella, she, like so many others on the internet, scour YouTube in search of musical talent (as well as Josh Groban, Michael Bublé, and pretty much anyone on the internet who can sing beautifully). We’ve always thought it a little sad that a cappella has never been quite mainstream – pretty much the only times you ever hear a cappella performances are at ceremonies like weddings, or – yes – on YouTube (Which, by the way, I have to say is amazing. Amazingly wonderful.). And maybe it’s not mainstream for good reason – too old? Doesn’t sell? Gets boring after the first three songs? Maybe.
So it’s really, really surprising that Atlantic Records is offering (the somewhat old) a cappella group Straight No Chaser a record deal. And at the same time, maybe not really – fans of Groban, Bublé, Bocelli, Celtic Woman, etc. etc. etc. (I could keep going on and on…) or even the Trans-Siberian Orchestra might enjoy a cappella music, too. But I do think it’s a bit strange to offer a group that has long since broken up a record deal, when one is not even sure they can still sing, much less draw a lot of mainstream attention. There are a lot of other younger, more motivated groups out there who probably deserve just as much of a chance as Straight No Chaser. Maybe some even better.

8 cbao { 10.05.08 at 3:16 pm }

“Dying of the light” rang a familiar tune, but I couldn’t immediately identity where from. After arduously searching, it all came back to me. It’s from Dylan Thomas’ poem “Do not go gentle into that good night,” and like that poem, the book “NOTHING TO BE FRIGHTENED OF” reviewed in this article deals with death and how one copes with the transience of life.

Julian Barnes, the author of the book, is a thanatophobic, someone who fears death. Going into great descriptions of the thought process of Barnes, the critic elucidates the internal struggle in Barnes’ mind between agnosticism and acceptance of his own mortality. At 62, without religious education or beliefs, he realizes that the longing for the sense of purpose and fulfillment that can be had through believing a higher power. Despite his inability to believe, he yearns to find that same fulfillment in religion that he would find in paintings or great pieces of music.

In a paragraph that minimizes human importance and influence by scientifically stripping the meaning from the words such as “soul” and “individualism,” the critic puts forth the realistic side of humanity. We are just masses of cells of compounds of elements dictated by our environment and our genetics. But then what is the purpose of life? Is there more in death than in life?

It is a cold and beautiful segue towards the importance of little things. The critic raves about the aspects which are often paid little attention to until really thought about. The scrapbooks, the holiday cards, and the small items and actions that bring about our emotions. Through acceptance of his own short time left on this Earth, and the eventual demise of all living things today, Barnes helps us to appreciate why it is we are all here.

9 heajungyang { 10.05.08 at 4:09 pm }

In today’s NYT, I read “The Grinch Meets Sir Thomas More”. I found what Frank Langella said about Patrick Page, “The role of Henry was his four lines into his audition. Unmistakable gifts. The single most intelligent, beautifully prepared and excitingly acted audition I have ever seen an actor give”, to be interesting. I have always wondered whether really talented artists could actually show off their talent in a few lines. Would they be very different from others? How could someone express so much in a few lines? There are a lot of really talented actors, but I just want to know how they are noticed with only a few lines. What caught my eye in this article was the musical “The Illusion of Chung Ling Soo”. I had watched something on Chung Ling Soo a few years ago and have found the story really interesting. The article says Patrick Page is an excellent actor so I would like to see the musical “The Illusion of Chung Ling Soo”.

I thought the article “A Giant’s New Right Hand” would be about dance. But I was surprised to see that it was about trying to get a show running. It was interesting because it showed how artistic planning was important, yet so were the business matters. It showed a different prospective of an art show.

10 dianeeex3 { 10.05.08 at 5:15 pm }

In the Sunday Times, I read “Growing From Too Young to Grande Dame.” I was expecting an article that I could relate to, something about teenagers or about teenage culture. But the article is actually about Holland Taylor (the actress who plays Charlie Sheen’s mother on Two and a Half Men.) I’ve always found her character to be very annoying, a bit too demanding. But it is her strong, independent character which actually led her to fame and helped her land acting roles. While reading her story, I was reminded of how much perseverance it takes to make it in the entertainment business. Luckily, I don’t have to worry about that.
I also read “The Grinch Meets Sir Thomas More.” In this article, Patrick Page is praised for many of his theatrical roles. He enjoys playing characters who are ruthless and have strong personalities, such as Scar from The Lion King. Mr. Page was a magician along with an actor. I was surprised to learn that his work as a magician actually helped him in becoming an actor. Ironically, in a musical called “The illusion of Chung Ling Soo,” Mr. Page plays a man who is disguised as a magician.

11 sophling { 10.05.08 at 5:47 pm }

In Friday’s Times I read “Provocative Duo, Naked and Natty.” This article is about two British artists, Gilbert and George, putting on a new show at the Brooklyn Museum. Like Nancy said, these two artists are very daring. They are creative and do the opposite of what is ordinary, such as when the art establishment declared topical political art to be a hateful thing, they continued with it nonetheless. I think it is very creative for them to pose as live sculptures instead of just making lifeless sculptures from inanimate materials. The key thing is that as a pair they do resemble sculptures because their mouths hardly move when they lip-synch the lyrics of homeless life. They even take it into such great detail to wear matching suits. It must have taken a lot of patience to pose motionless for such long periods of time. I think even their physical appearances amuse their viewers. Their looks contrast each other so sharply. One is tall, while the other one is short. One has hair, while the other one is almost bald. This is certainly an amusing and bizarre spectacle.

12 Walter Zielkowski { 10.05.08 at 7:57 pm }

I spent this weekend camping out in the bitter cold and rain. The only escape from the bitter cold was the warm campfire. However, a few hours huddled around a campfire can get a bit mundane. I’m not sure what you guys do when you get bored around a campfire, but the only remedy I have for boredom around a campfire is to sing a couple of campfire songs.

It might be a bit of a long shot, but I found some type connection between the a cappella songs we sang around the campfire, and the article Allison and I found interesting in the New York Times this weekend, “A Cappella Dreaming: 10 Voices, One Shot “. After listening to a few samples from Straight No Chaser, I realized quite quickly that my “campfire a cappella” was missing quite a bit more than a few instruments playing in the background.

More importantly than what my songs were missing, the only thing that Straight No Chaser seemed to be missing in the few samples I heard were the instruments. And they seemed to make up for them with their voices. Its no wonder the group was asked to sign with Atlantic Records for an album coming out October 28th. The album will be featuring holiday a cappella songs and should be a pretty worthwhile holiday gift.

The group was noticed by its appearance on one of my personal favorite procrastinating websites, YouTube. The video that was posted, racking in nearly 7.8 million views and earning a 5 star rating, was funny while still bringing some uplifting holiday cheer. If you didn’t check it out yet, I’d take a look at their video (there’s a link to YouTube right next to the New York Times article the group is featured in).

13 joycet { 10.05.08 at 8:36 pm }

i can’t wait to visit the museum of art and design at columbus circle! i actually commented on the NYT article that reviewed the musuem last week. The article had a lot of criticisms, i hope the actual museum isn’t as bad as the article said it was.

14 miji0926 { 10.05.08 at 9:37 pm }

I just saw Diane’s comment. Wow I can’t believe Hairspray is going to end. I really like the musical Legally Blonde and that is going to end in like week or so. Why are these musicals closing? I am so sad. . .

Lately, a lot of movies came out. I was interested in seeing most of them so when there was a movie review on “Body of Lies” I had to read it. This movie seemed similar to another movie that Dicaprio shot before: “Departed.” A character who suffers a life of deception. Also it was interesting to read about Mr. Hoffman and how he represents American archetype. He rises in position without doing anything, and even though he does, he cannot do anything right. How funny that such a disastrous character can be an archetype. The idea of vilifying everyone caught my eyes. I also liked the author’s point on how this movie is similar to another recent hit movie: “The Dark Knight.” The moral and politics are corrupted. I wonder if audiences will react in a similar way. Whether this movie will be another star in Dicaprio’s actor history or be another war movie without anyone’s attention will be revealed soon.

15 calvinwong { 10.05.08 at 9:52 pm }

I read the article “The Grinch Meets Sir Thomas More”. What really interested me was the number of roles that Patrick Page plays. Since 1993, he has mainly played cartoonish roles, including Lumiere in “Beauty and the Beast”, Scar in “The Lion King.” and the Grinch. However, in his past, he played characters from Shakespeare written plays.

I was surprised at the variety of roles because there did not seemed to exist a connection between them. However, Page assured that there is a connection; they are all egotists. “These characters all have very strong desires and a ruthlessness about achieving them,” said Page. He won the Helen Hayes Award as Iago at the Shakespeare Theater Company in Washington and has taught Shakespeare in graduate programs all around the country. This shows how talented and versatile he is.

16 miji0926 { 10.05.08 at 10:28 pm }

I love listening to music. Unlike food, I am not so picky with music. I listen to every type of music and generally like it (the only music genre I will stay away from is heavy metal rock). An article “A Cappella Dreaming: 10 Voices, One Shot” is about a cappella group called Straight No Chaser. Recently, they reunited to create an album- an album that participants believe it will shine. Personally, I love a cappella. It is hard to not admit that the melody made solely by human voices is harmonious. How amazing is it for people to create a music that can ring not only our ears but our hearts? And better- without any extraneous sounds! I do not want to get my hopes high but I look forward to listen to their album and see them perform. A cappella is a genre that is neglected in our society but there might be a slight chance for Straight No Chaser to fix that.

17 coreytrippiedi { 10.06.08 at 12:44 am }

I remember incessantly pestering my grandmother for money that day, but I had to. I had an obligation to myself to buy it–it wasn’t a want, but a need. Leaving Sam Goody in Kings Plaza, I felt a certain jubilance, a jubilance known only to those who have won the lotto…..and those who have saved a bunch of money on their car insurance. When I got home, I grabbed a knife, tore off the clear plastic packaging, and shoved the cd forcefully into my boombox.

“BECAUSE I WANNA BE A COWBOY BABY!”

Kid Rock’s raspy vocals and rock-country vibe had infiltrated my household….much to my mother’s dismay.

“Why are you listening to a redneck talk about being a cowboy?” she’d ask me rhetorically, not really caring about my musical tastes, but more about the noise pollution. I liked Kid Rock, I’m ashamed to say. I’m also ashamed to say that Kid Rock’s cd was the last I ever purchased. I had discovered the holy grail of music–the internet.

“Kid Rock, Longtime Holdout, Goes Digital With Rhapsody,” is a provocative (not really), interesting (not really) article in Friday’s NY Times Arts Section about Kid Rock’s wonderful (not really) music finally becoming available for download on the internet.

When I think of downloading music on the internet, I immediately have a mental flashback to a Chapelle’s Show episode, where Dave opts to go to the FREE music store as opposed to the PAY music store. Essentially, Mr. Chappele was commenting on the blaring tendency of people like you and me to favor that which is free over that which costs money (I have a relevant point, I swear).

I’ll be the first to say that I download music illegally with a wonderful little program called Frostwire (it’s a must have for Mac people). I don’t bother paying for music because, like many of my fellow college buddies, I’m poor. I have no job, and 7-11 never called me back about my application (those bastards). Kid Rock opting to sell his music through a service called Rhapsody is just the right move for his career at this point. However, if you ask anyone about legitimately downloading music over the net, they’ll say something about the ubiquitous iTunes rather than Rhapsody. The lesser known service could ultimately hurt his profits in the long run.

Kid Rock chose Rhapsody over iTunes because he prefers that people download his entire album rather than a single track. In reality, Kid Rock knows that his entire album is fueled by the popularity of one song, and in a selfish greedy ploy, he’s attempting to unload his other sub-par music onto “fans.” As if I didn’t have little enough respect for the man….

The mere fact that it took Kid Rock THIS long to enter the world of digital media is ridiculous in itself. I just read an article about the death of the CD, so perhaps Mr. Rock read it too.

The article mentions that Kid Rock has sold 20 million albums in his career…that’s an impressive number, so I see where his reluctance to “go digital” is coming from. However, despite my disdain for Mr. Rock, I do feel that at this point in his career, “going digital” is the best possible, most lucrative move he can make.

18 coreytrippiedi { 10.06.08 at 1:29 am }

I was about 12 when I was first subjected to the anal rape scene in Pulp Fiction. Good parenting, huh? Regardless, I was hooked on cinema at a very young age. I couldn’t get enough of the magical HBO-Cinemax-Starz movie package that my mother insisted upon purchasing. To say the least, I’m glad she did.

I particularly like movies that challenge our preconceived notions, that present a certain subject in a different light. For this reason, I am a huge fan of Mr. Avant Garde himself, Quentin Tarantino. I’ve seen Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs at least 10 times each, and they get better every time.

“AND YOU WILL KNOW MY NAME IS THE LORD…..when I lay my vengeance upon thee.” It gives me chills every time, I swear.

In any case, the reason I like Tarantino’s films is because of their unconventionality and total disregard for Hollywood’s expectations. For the most part, Tarantino has stayed true to his fan-base with Kill Bill Volumes 1 and 2. He has made a living out of destroying preconceived notions about what film is. Such is the ambition of a Mr. Antonio Campos.

“Young and Out to Redefine What’s Real” is a Sunday Times article about the release of director Antonio Campos’ debut feature, “Afterschool.” Campos has made a name for himself because he, like the aforementioned Tarantino, likes to challenge conventionality while allowing his creative genius to translate into brilliant cinema.

“Afterschool” deals with a traumatic moment in an adolescent’s life, seeing two of his peers die. “The film combines the timeless bewilderment of adolescence with a very contemporary recognition that for many of us — not least adolescents — reality is now largely a virtual experience, says the author, perfectly summarizing the supposed brilliant juxtaposition of technology and adolescence in the film.

I haven’t seen any of Mr. Campos’ films. However, the author describes them as being very provocative, relating to teenagers on an emotional level. He delves deep into the psyche of the protagonist, with absolutely no intention of making his work a reflection of any time period. He wishes to speak his mind, to translate his thoughts into film as best as NYU film school taught him.

Youtube is something of which we, as teenagers of the 21st century, have all become familiar. I believe that Campos’ incorporation of such a ubiquitous piece of technology into his film is a masterful idea-in effect, technology acts and functions as a character in itself.

In summation, I would very much like to see “Afterschool” primarily because of my love for cinema. I think adolescents, like my peers, would enjoy seeing the film as well for the fact that it relates so well to our lives as teenagers and the extenuating circumstances that some of us have had to endure.

19 sophling { 10.06.08 at 1:31 am }

In the Sunday Times I read “A Cappella Dreaming: 10 Voices, One Shot.” I personally do not know much about American music because I only concentrate on Chinese pop songs and other Asian music. Before reading this article, I did not know what a cappella is, but I knew it had to do with something music related since it was in the music section. It is interesting how this ten man group got signed with a recording company to release albums because people enjoyed them playing holiday music. So if their specialty is holiday music, what would they play if it is not the holidays? But this type of band releasing albums would be a great change to the many Christmas albums already released. I have not heard of a cappella, but this would be a first experience for me.

I also read “Wong Kar-Wai’s Phoenix Project, Rising at Last.” Hong Kong director Wong Kar-Wai took time to recover parts of his movie, “Ashes of Time” to create a new version called “Ashes of Time Redux.” It is basically a martial arts movie, and I really enjoy movies with a martial arts genre. But some critics have said the actions are slow and blurry and are trivial compared to the modern swordplay found in movies nowadays. The article even used “Hero” as an example of how elevated the martial arts interests of audience members have become. I still want to watch the revised version regardless because all different forms of martial arts should be appreciated. It must be a unique movie if one of the actresses in it says “each image is like a painting.” If some of the most famous Hong Kong veteran actors agree to film the movie, even in extreme heat and adverse conditions, then this movie should be worthwhile to watch. The blurry scenes certainly have artistic meaning to them within a piece of art. They represent when the main actor eventually starts to go blind. This is a very smart filming technique on the director’s part because it is just as the person sees the world – not clear, not completely dark, but just blurry. The director gives it a lot of thought to use the camera to depict the character’s perception of the world as felt with his new disability.

20 taeminkim { 10.06.08 at 10:55 am }

A capella group “Straight No Chaser” is getting back together after ten years. I always had an interest for a capella groups, but I had never really searched for them or listened to many. I like the collaberation of many people to form a sound of unity. So I decided to look for “Straight No Chaser” on youtube.com and listen to some of their works. The one I liked was “Lion Sleeps Tonight” by them. At first it was very funny and I found it hilarious at the sounds they were making, but when the chorus and the singing started to happen, the performance was very great. They have a great synchronization and I think they work together very well. I look forward to the performances they will have in the future, and hope they will be a success (unless they stink) =)

21 alyssaip { 10.06.08 at 5:29 pm }

“Using Video Games as Bait to Hook Readers” was an interesting article about how authors, teachers, librarians and publishers are trying to encourage children to read by making video-game versions of books, especially popular ones like the Eragon series. Libraries are hosting gaming tournaments, and schools are thinking about incorporating video-games into classrooms I do not think that will work to make kids read more; if anything, they would just become more addicted to games and would spend even less time reading. In addition, the experience of playing games is nothing compared to the experiences of reading a good, wholesome book.

22 taeminkim { 10.07.08 at 2:27 pm }

Alyssa, I’m not too sure about the video game idea too. I agree that it definitely won’t work. I play many video games (or used to) and I read extremely fast and understand what I read without having to skim over it again. However, when I read books, it is terrible. I am the slowest reader possible. Sometimes it takes me 10 minutes to read a page! And im not even being distracted. Well, They’ll soon see the failure happen, haha.

23 cbao { 10.07.08 at 7:58 pm }

Sarah Silverman… You’re so…terrible.

Just stop it, ya know? Let your career make like a fire and get extinguished…or just burn.

“Message to Your Grandma: Vote Obama” was an article in the arts section of the Sunday Times and made me cringe as I read it. As I read written earlier about the declining quality of comedy, Sarah Silverman seems to have made a career out of it. Utterly dependent on the shock-factor of her style, she continually manages to one-up herself and push the envelope. i.e “The people that vote there are the elderly Jews, and they’re not voting Obama because his name is scary,” Ms. Silverman”.

Sarah Silverman is a living, walking version of the infamous “The Aristocrats” joke.

24 nancywong { 10.07.08 at 9:01 pm }

I thought “A Collection of Tribal Art Is Embroiled in a Modern Family Feud” in the Sunday NYT was pretty interesting. I am a bit sad to see a collection get separated because of family fighting. In this article it talks about John Friede and his battle against his two brothers, the museum where the tribal art is at, and Sotheby’s that are all fighting over the art work. I found this somewhat out to be in the art section considering it was more like drama than really discussing art. Mr. Jaffe is also his brother and supposedly he loves to collect tribal art as well so he’s trying to win the battle against John Friede. Although this article wasn’t the most interesting I read it was just shocking how much people are fighting for art.

Also to comment on Alyssa’s post I think it might work if the teachers don’t give as much homework and also if teachers are able to control up to what level students can complete it should keep them all on the same track. In the summer I actually was in a focus group for the National Council on Economic Education’s plan for making an online video game for high school students to teach them about economics. I think it can work work as long as students can be trusted to do the work if not these games will probably have to supervised or controlled by teachers which takes out all the fun.

25 katherinepark90 { 10.09.08 at 2:45 pm }

So on sunday I found an interesting article, but couldn’t post until today.

Madonna has launched another tour called “Sticky and Sweet.” It says that Madonna has been performing since 1982, which is 26 years of singing and dancing for audiences everywhere. It amazes me to see a pop idol who is 50 years old, still on staging dancing as if she is in her 20s. I am also surprised that she still has a very large network of fans. How is it that she doesn’t look 50? Most likely tons of botox and makeup. Although I’m not a follower of Madonna, I know that many of her songs from years ago, are still known and used everywhere.

I actually disagree with you Joe. I have two little cousins, and they play video-games all the time. I think that their reading skills have improved. The more they want to move on to the next level, the more they read those code books and such. So maybe those new video-games that are focused on reading, will encourage and improve their reading skills even more.

26 alyssaip { 10.09.08 at 9:35 pm }

“Where Fish Sticks Swim Free and Chicken Nuggets Self-Dip ” is a review about Banksy’s newest art installation in Greenwich village. Bansky is apparently a “pseudonymous, secretive” British artist who goes around putting up eclectic artworks, and his latest piece is his first official exhibition in NYC. It is a “mock pet supply shop,” complete with animatronic animals, cages, and fake food. Examples of exhibits include a rabbit (wearing a pearl necklace) filing her nails, and a chicken nugget with legs dipping itself into sauce. According to Banksy’s publicist, he “wanted to make art that questioned our relationship with animals and the ethics and sustainability of factory farming.” His idea is both creative and ingenious…and if anything, insanely cute. It’s art in a simplistic, comedic form that can be appreciated by people of all ages, even if some only admire it for its physical appeal. And as the review says, entrance is free, so I definitely want to go check it out.

As for Sarah Silverman…as long as her show catches people’s attention, it does what it’s supposed to, no? People respond to crude humor, and I think that’s what she was going for.

27 Walter Zielkowski { 10.11.08 at 11:35 am }

I also read the article, “The Lost Child” by Lucinda Rosenfeld in Sunday’s New York Times. The article was about a new book whose main character was a woman, Mrs. McCraken, whom had difficultly birthing children. This reminded me a lot about my own mother who had 3 consecutive miscarriages before finally giving birth to my little brother. Just reading the review reminded me of the pain my mom went through during her still births. It also reminded me of my own life because in the end, Mrs. McCraken gave birth to a healthy child, which gave everyone something positive to remember instead of always having bad memories to reflect on. The book itself seems to be depressing and not very interesting, but my own relevance to the article made it interesting for me.

You must log in to post a comment.