Art is Where You Find It

This week in NYTimes Arts, 10/17-19 + review comments

What have you found of interest in the NYTimes Arts section? Add your comments to this post. I encourage you to leave multiple comments, and to comment freely on others’ ideas.

Do not neglect to comment meaningfully on the posted reviews. Those reviews that were posted first are located back a page or two so to get to them you have to click ‘previous entries’ on the bottom of the page.

1 Walter Zielkowski { 10.17.08 at 9:35 am }

The ins and outs of theater production from Wednesday’s meeting with theater producer Eric Krebs were still floating around in my head as I read the article “Shows Collide; Which One Will Blink?”. The article discussed the opening of two Broadway shows, “9 to 5: The Musical” and “Waiting for Godot” at the same place and on the same day. After Mr. Krebs told us how much money motivates Broadway production, it seemed very outlandish that the shows would jeopardize its first night’s profits by sharing them with another show.

Both shows are planning to make their appearance on April 30th, the last day that shows are able to open and still be eligible for a seat at the Tony Awards. After hearing Mr. Krebs talk about the excitement and esteem surrounding the opening night of a show, it seems quite foolish to have two opening nights on one day, let alone in one theater. Having this setup makes me question both producers’ judgments. The Broadway League has even set guidelines that discourage opening two shows on the same day, but despite that fact, neither production is considering changing the date of its opening night.

The whole ordeal seems to have negative impacts on everyone, including the viewers and cast. When April 30th comes around, people are going to have to decide which performance they would prefer to see. I think that splitting the attention between two opening shows is going to take a lot of substance away from both of the shows. The actors in each of the performances are the real victims: they worked so hard and now they might not get the full accreditation they deserve on their opening nights. I don’t think anyone enjoys sharing the limelight with anyone else, and on opening night, why should they?

2 calvinwong { 10.17.08 at 3:10 pm }

The article “Hidden Corners of the Neighborhood” is about a British sculptor, Rachel Whiteread, who made plaster casts of the interior of London homes in her previous works “Ghost” and “House”. Her new project is titled “Place (Village)” and it consists of 200 vintage dollhouses. When I first saw the picture of this village, it looked remarkable. A lot of time and effort must have been put into the artwork. The miniature houses remind me of the sets that are used in some movies when it is too expensive to use an actual city: like when a monster if destroying one.

All of the houses are put into a dark room and are lightened from within, making it seem more realistic, as if it were nighttime. This is going to be her first exhibit here in the United States and it is going to be at the Museum of Fine Arts. However, the exhibit not only consists of the houses; it also has several drawings and smaller sculptures.

3 alyssaip { 10.17.08 at 7:36 pm }

The movie review of “The Secret Life of Bees” caught my eye because I actually read the book it is based on a few years back. I don’t really remember the details of the book that much anymore, but I do recall that it was a sweet, honeyed story that left you with a good feeling of satisfaction of the end.
Mr. Scott, however, believes that “film insists so strenuously on its themes of redemption, tolerance, love and healing that it winds up defeating itself, and robbing Ms. Kidd’s already maudlin tale of its melodramatic heat.” Apparently, the movie is so overly saccharine and fuzzy that it detracts from all the characters’ real personas.
Perhaps Mr. Scott expected the movie to be some deep analysis of the human psyche, but I honestly expected it to to be just a small, sweet story about friendship and love. I definitely hope to check it out when it gets released this week.

Another interesting article was one entitled “African Art, Modern and Traditional: Seductive Patterns From a Rich Palette ,” about the importance of African textiles in art. Most Westerners associate African art with things like “masks, headdresses and ritual figures.” However, according to Karen Rosenberg, many African artists point to textiles as a source of inspiration. The Met recently unveiled a new exhibit, “The Essential Art of African Textiles: Design Without End,” that presents 19th century fabrics alongside more contemporary works. Compared to the fabrics in the permanent collection, the new collection “offer[s] a more generous swath (so to speak) of Africa’s current visual culture.”
I personally used to think African textiles were just regular pieces of cotton cloth, but they actually have quite a complex background. Textiles fall into three different categories (woven, dyed, and printed), and are often handmade using looms. The cloths are varied and eclectic, as “some reproduce images of political and religious leaders, while others feature bold abstract motifs.” The exhibit sounds exciting and definitely would be educational. I hope to check it out one day.

4 nancywong { 10.17.08 at 8:29 pm }

Like Calvin I also read “Hidden Corners of the Neighborhood” It is about Rachel Witheread who has a current project called “Place (Village)” that consists of 200 vintage houses lighted within. I saw the picture that came with it and it’s so cool! The houses are so pretty and lights up it reminds me of Christmas when people decorate their houses. The article also stated that looking Village , you have the sensation of floating over the rooftops of Chagall’s Vitebsk. I googled Chagall Vitebsk and its paintings by Marc Chagall and the painting of the houss scenario does remind me of Ms. Witheread’s “Village.” Her work is going to be exhibited at Museum of Fine Arts which I feel somwhat disappointed. I wish it was in New York City because I would definitely go see it.

5 nancywong { 10.17.08 at 8:30 pm }

Like Calvin I also read “Hidden Corners of the Neighborhood” It is about Rachel Witheread who has a current project called “Place (Village)” that consists of 200 vintage houses lighted within. I saw the picture that came with it and it’s so cool! The houses are so pretty and lights up it reminds me of Christmas when people decorate their houses. The article also stated that looking Village , you have the sensation of floating over the rooftops of Chagall’s Vitebsk. I googled Chagall Vitebsk and its paintings by Marc Chagall and the painting of the houss scenario does remind me of Ms. Witheread’s “Village.” Her work is going to be exhibited at Museum of Fine Arts which I feel somewhat disappointed. I wish it was in New York City because I would definitely go see it.

6 nancywong { 10.17.08 at 8:37 pm }

sorry for the double post that got repeated twice, I also wanted to comment on Walter’s post I agree that it was suck a silly idea to have two shows open at the same night especially when they are big Broadway shows. From the way Eric Krebs described how Broadway works it would seem the first thing they have on their mind is money and they would plan to obtain the most profits.

7 leliaxtan { 10.18.08 at 12:56 am }

I definitely have to agree with Walter and Nancy on how stupid it is to premiere two broadway shows at the same time, on the same night, in the same place. I wonder what’s so special about April 30th? I think some producers are just too concerned with making money that they disregard the feelings of their actors and all the hard work they have put into the show. It seems kind of selfish, but then again the shows will probably be on for a while anyway. But some people might find more pleasure in watching the show the first day it shows.

I tried reading the article “Seemingly Sleepy Finals Turn Lively in Beijing.” I had no idea what it was saying. It’s about some mind game between countries. The article is about Bridge, but by the way the article put it, I don’t understand anything at all. I also got confused on how there’s so many first and second places. Anyway, the game itself is pretty interesting, but I think the article is very poorly written. It has a catchy title though.

“Hidden Corners of the Neighborhood” is definitely amazing. I’ve always been interested in architecture and to hear about such a beautiful mini-city is so thrilling. From the picture, I can tell Ms. Whiteread put a lot of effort into her art. I am sure this makes many people feel as if they were there. If I get a chance, I will definitely take a look at this.

8 heajungyang { 10.18.08 at 1:34 pm }

On Friday, I read the article “Highly Caffeinated Dancers With Aversions (Gasp) to Tea”. While reading the article, there was such a detailed plot that I thought I was reading about a play, but it was actually about a dance. I like to watch dances in general and when they have a plot I find them more interesting. The plot for this dance is very different. Random events are put together like the red chopsticks, coffee and teabags. I cannot really imagine what it will be like. But I like the idea that the dance will show that fear is the scariest thing out there.

I also read “Shows Collide; Which One Will Blink?”. I agree with everyone that having two shows open on the same night is stupid. Although 65% of the Broadway shows viewers are tourists, the economies is doing bad everywhere and less people are spending money on leisure activities such as shows. The two shows are creating buzz for each other but the negative impact will be greater than the positive one. I think the producers of “9 to 5: The Musical” are at fault because the producers had announced the opening of “Waiting for Godot” before they had. They should have known that the day they had chosen collided with another show’s opening day. It is rude for the producers to just choose they day knowing there would be a conflict.

9 miji0906 { 10.27.08 at 11:05 pm }

After reading some comments, I was interested in reading “Hidden Corners of the Neighborhood.” I think it is a brilliant exhibition. Little houses are realistic and the “village” as a whole gives off such a warm feeling. What a shame that the art gallery is in Boston! I would love to go see this with my own eyes. Rachel Whiteread has a delicate taste. Not only she created a village with different houses but she decided to place lights in them so that it will look like as if there are people in there relaxing. I am also interested in seeing her other works such as “Ghost” and “House.” The interiors of London homes sound equally interesting as her exhibition that is currently in Boston.

Another article that I enjoyed reading was “The Mommy Track.” This article was about Angelina Jolie-her children and her movie career. Although I had a negative view of Angelina Jolie because of the break up between Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston, now all of those views dissolved away as I saw Jolie’s gentle and genuine personality. She is a co-founder of charity, Jolie-Pitt Foundation and she is also an active volunteer.

With six kids with ethnicity ranging from white, Asian, and black, Jolie also manages to shoot films. It’s amazing how a person with that much money and fame can be so humble and giving. Through this article I learned that her family (as weird as it may sound) can be quiet normal. I chuckled when I read that Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are considered “not cool” by their kids.

10 heajungyang { 10.27.08 at 11:08 pm }

In today’s NYT, I read the article “Murder, Rebirth and Sisterly Bonds”. Aside from the movie, what caught my attention was how Philippe Claudel said that as her life gets happier, her writing becomes sadder and that she wrote about dark subjects to protect herself. I always had thought that people’s feelings and states showed in their artworks. Also I wonder if actors and actresses have a tendency to feel the way their character is. If the actor or actresses have to live as a certain character for a long period of time, would it affect how they are in their real lives?

I also read the article “Moments in History, Converging Anew”. I had not known that there were such big events over a play in 1998 because I had only been eight at the time. Although there are still hate attacks against homosexuals, the world has changed a lot since 1998. In the article I was surprised to see that the New York Post had reported very false information about the play. I think today the news papers are more accurate than in 1998.

11 nancywong { 10.27.08 at 11:08 pm }

In the Sunday NYT “A Close-Up of Pop-Up Books, Magical and Movable” really caught my attention because I LOVE pop up books. Even though I’m in college now I still enjoy a good pop up book. The article is about Leah Fiterstein who has collected 1,500 volumes of pop up books that are being shown at the Tee Ridder Miniatures Museum of the Nassau County Museum of Art. Some of her pop up books are from the 1800s. I didn’t even know pop up books existed at that time. The theme of this exhibition is “Pop Up Holiday Magic” so its going to be books about all these different holidays. I wish I could go see it. I love collecting pop-up books and I had to make one for freshman year in high school. I don’t know how people have the patience to sit there and create one book because it took me 3 months to make my own. It was most basic pop up book too. I think pop up books are one of the best creation ever created. It’s a great way for kids to enjoy reading and art!

12 dianeeex3 { 10.27.08 at 11:09 pm }

Once again, I’m commenting on a show that will soon be closing its doors. In “Closing Set for ‘Spamalot’, I learned that the show will be closing, after making back its investment and making $175 million in profits. In Professor Kreb’s theater class, I learned that most show don’t make profit or even earn back their investment. Clay Aiken performs in this show, something known as a star vehicle ( I’m using my theater knowledge).
Like Nancy, I also read “A Close- Up of Pop- Up Books, Magical and Movable.” Although I was never good with pop ups ( I tended to rip them out when I was little), I did enjoy them for as long as I could manage to keep my books. I was looking at Mrs. Fiterstein’s pictures of some of her pop up books and I was amazed to see a pop up literally the same height as her. I was wondering how a 67 year old woman could be so interested in pop ups but then I learned that she was a kindergarten teacher who actually used the books to motivate her kids. Oh and Nancy, I also had to create my own pop up book… it was a disaster.
I also viewed ” On Location in New York City” which isn’t an article but rather, a series of photographs. I was surprised to learn that NYC is offering tax discounts so that many television shows can film in this city. For example, shows like “Ugly Betty” were filmed in other cities and then the NYC landscape was added on by computer. Eighteen shows are filmed in NYC. I actually got the opportunity to see the filming of Gossip Girl a few months ago but sadly, I didn’t get to go. It’s great to know that due to the tax discounts, many shows are actually venturing out to the other boroughs, just like Ugly Betty did when it had a party in Queens!

13 allisonlouie { 10.27.08 at 11:09 pm }

Like Nancy and Diane, I also read “A Close-Up of Pop-Up Books, Magical and Movable”. As a kid, I always loved pop-up books — although perhaps not to the extent that I would collect 1,500 books over 24 years… What really caught my eye, though, are the pop-up books shown in the photos; They are so much more complex than your average children’s pop-up book that it’s mind boggling how you can pull some of them off. I remember I had to try to make one for a project in elementary school. It takes a long time to make complex pop-ups.

As for “Shows Collide; Which One Will Blink?” I somewhat agree with Walter. It seems like a bad decision to premiere both Broadway shows on the same night. Maybe both shows are waiting until the last day possible, April 30th, because they need as much time as possible to prepare — but both shows’ openings will probably be hurt by the fact that some people might be going to the other show. In another respect, however, in the long run it might not make too much of an impact. Whoever wants to see a particular show will probably see the one they want to watch more, and in today’s economy, it’s unlikely that a viewer would see two Broadway shows one after the other. If each show is good, they’ll probably be able to do well enough on their own in due time, regardless of the fact that they open on the same day.

14 sophling { 10.27.08 at 11:10 pm }

Like Heajung I read “Highly Caffeinated Dancers With Aversions (Gasp) to Tea” in the Friday Times. One tea bag causes three Central European men to go crazy about who is the accused and who is the accuser. “The Society” is a dance performance that revolves around the nervous behavior on stage. I agree with the article of how fear one of another is the scariest thing. Fear itself can be scary if it leads to misunderstandings between different people. Even if certain people are innocent, others do not give time for them to prove it before turning the world into a violent place. From what I gather from the article, the discovery of different random objects is causing the dissension among the men. It says that the actors will be using gibberish language and that they will not even know what they are saying on stage. Is it because it means nothing in particular from what the name implies or are the lines said spontaneously?

I also read “Shows Collide; Which One Will Blink?”. Both the “9 to 5: The Musical” and “Waiting for Godot” will have their opening nights on April 30th at the Marquis Theater. Both shows are headed on a collision course, but it does not appear that either one wants to back off and maybe have its opening night on a different day. I agree with Walter of how outlandish this is because of the amount of money that goes into a Broadway show production. How can audiences decide which show they want to go to see better, if both of them are supposedly long awaited popular shows? The producers of both shows are at risk at making less revenue that they would have made a lot of if one of them decided to back off so true theatergoers would have a chance to attend both if they like. I agree with Walter of how hard the actors worked, and I am sure that they would be indignant if they do not receive the recognition they deserve. What would motivate them in the future to do even better in the future, say one show loses out on the competition between the two? Like Lelia mentioned, some people are such enthusiastic fans that they are willing to watch certain shows the first day they come out. Would they really appreciate missing out one one to see the other if they really wanted to see both?

15 joycet { 10.27.08 at 11:10 pm }

In today’s NYT, I found the article “Moments in History, Converging new” very interesting. It talks about Terrence McNally’s play “Corpus Christi” was put into play after the horrible death of Matthew Shepard ten years ago and is now put into play once again. Shepard’s death was caused by the beatings of two men because he is gay. “The Laramine Project”, in turn, is a documentary drama bout the crime. I think it is a very good idea to put these productions into play and allow people to understand the different perspectives of the issue. It is not just about gay and lesbians but about social justice as a whole.

16 coreytrippiedi { 10.27.08 at 11:10 pm }

Ask a random passerby on the street about who’s running for present, and you’re (hopefully) going to hear “Obama and McCain.” However, If late night television shows like Jay Leno have taught us anything, it’s that the average American is disgustingly unaware of what’s going on in the world around him. In other words, “Joe Sixpack” knows more about beer than world politics.

In the mess referred to as the “2008 Presidential Election,” both candidates try to befuddle the average American by throwing around “facts” and promises. But, my fellow Americans, the “fact” that global warming has been overshadowed by more pressing issues should not go unnoticed.

“Apocalypse Now, via Diorama” is an intriguing review of an exhibition set to open at the American Museum of Natural History which showcases the forecasted events of the apocalypse.

When I personally hear the terms “global warming” and the “apocalypse,” my mind immediately wanders off to the train wreck that was “The Day After Tomorrow.” The movie prominently featured the devastation that would befall New York City should global warming throw climates out of whack. The exhibit, not failing to exploit the perverse nature of human beings, showcases a similar peril striking New York–water will eventually flood the city. This very aspect of the exhibit is both fascinating and mundane–we’ve seen this scene (and become desensitized to it), but the fact remains that water destroying the city as we know it, Baruch College succumbing to the massive force of water….well, that’s pretty cool.

The author of the article mentions the exhibit to have serious religious undertones. The entire premise–repent or suffer the consequences–is inherently biblical. The fact remains, however, that this corny message has a blatant air of truth about it. In order to prolong the existence of this earth we must reduce our carbon footprint. That, of course, is disregarding the fact that the planet will eventually die out on its own in a few million years.

I remember playing baseball in December last year, a day when temperatures reached 50 degrees. “Global warming kicks ass,” I told my friend, who concurred. I, along with many of my peers, have a certain mentality–it won’t affect me, so why should I care? I for one feel that an exhibition such as this one, which is opening in various locales worldwide, is a great way to spark interest in the topic of global warming and inspire a spirit to change. Is a museum necessarily the right forum in which to preach your message of repent, Mr. Exhibition Organizer? I think not.

17 coreytrippiedi { 10.27.08 at 11:12 pm }

My name is Corey. His name might be John. Or Jake. Or Thor. The alternative versions of myself in other universes all have different personalities. John’s a bit of a prima donna. Thor likes….I don’t know….war and stuff. The fact, however, that we all exist in different universes, is dependent upon one ingenious theory–the “Many Worlds Theory.”

It’s a wild thought, I know. There could be another Chang out there. Perhaps another Alyssa. Quantum physicist Hugh Everett III formulated the theory of parallel universes more than 50 years ago. “Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives,” previewed in the New York Times, is a Nova documentary set to air on Tuesday night.

The documentary follows around Hughes’ son Mark as he visits places and people who were significant in his father’s life. The article claims that his father was a cold man, who ” preferred chain-smoking Kents to conversation, and scrawling calculations on yellow legal pads to parenting.” I smell the makings of a tear jerker.

The article basically describes the various places that Mark visits in the course of the documentary. Nova has put me to sleep on numerous occasions, and I don’t see this as being an exception. The man’s theory is outstandingly fascinating, but his family life is not. I’ve seen many films that exploit the “absent dad” aspect of a child’s life to be impressed–hell, for me it’s a reality. Why hasn’t Nova shown up on my doorstep yet with some cameras?

Mark apparently is the frontman of a band I’ve never heard of. I believe the author’s intention in telling the reader so was to juxtapose the elements of the past and present–in a sense, this is the essence of the documentary. Mark is a child of an entirely different generation from his father–the documentary’s redeeming quality will perhaps be the explanation of why the son of one of the world’s most creative and ingenious men wound up to be a rocker.

18 sophling { 10.27.08 at 11:12 pm }

In the Sunday Times I read “A Close-Up of Pop-Up Books, Magical and Movable.” Pop-up books are educational because they are much more interesting than the average children’s book with just words and pictures on each page. They are much more engaging. I had to create a pop-up book in sixth grade for my English class and it took me a long time to make it, but I still received a really good grade in the end. That was back in the time when I enjoyed doing projects and did not find them annoying. Anyway to collect 1,500 of these books is simply amazing, especially since they all relate to this central magical theme. Like Nancy, I am surprised to know that pop-up books even existed back in the day. I have always thought of them as a modern creation that would develop more with improvements in the education system.

19 Walter Zielkowski { 10.27.08 at 11:13 pm }

Reading through the comments, I noticed that a lot of people have also read the article, “A Close-Up of Pop-Up Books, Magical and Movable.” That brings back memories of high school, when I was supposed to make a pop-up book of my own. I ended up scrapping my own book I was working on, and traded it up for a much better one that a girl in my class was generous enough to give me (she had so much extra time she did a second one, and decided to hand in the second one). I ended up feeling guilty about handing in work that wasn’t mine, so I went back to my own book I started at the beginner of the term and managed to hand it in a couple days late, but before the end of the term. I handed in a book, but it was lacking the pop-up portion that we were supposed to incorporate. I just couldn’t get the pop-ups to work!

Before having to make a pop-up book of my own, back when I was a toddler, I used to enjoy borrowing the occasional pop-up book from the library. The only reason I would only borrow them occasionally was because they were hard to come by. I found it amazing that Leah Fiterstein managed to collect so many of these uncommon books over the years. I also like how even after having so much experience with pop-up books, she still can’t figure out the workings on some of the more complicated pieces. I couldn’t figure out the simple pop-ups during my freshman year of high school so I can imagine how perplexing those more complicated books would be.

20 coreytrippiedi { 10.27.08 at 11:13 pm }

Those popup books were a royal pain. I could never understand why we had to do them. I commend you, Walter, for your honesty, but I believe you should be reprimanded for your academic dishonesty.

I’m calling Tech 🙂

21 cbao { 10.27.08 at 11:14 pm }

“On ‘SNL’ It’s the Real Sarah Palin, Looking Like a Real Entertainer” was a pretty entertaining article. Having watched the episode myself, I think it’s pretty safe to say that Palin is the biggest thing to happen in political humor in a very long time. While far from being a supporter of Palin’s, I might say I am a “fan.” A Vice President should be able to pop a move every now and then. I also heard she’s a lot hotter in real life.

Movie Review
“Azur & Asmar (2006)” was also an interesting article because the movie looked interesting in terms of finding the similarities and differences in animated films produced in the U.S and those in other countries. Although I barely watch cartoons (I first saw The Lion King when I was 17. Yeah…), I think that the cultural take on movies like “Azur & Asmar” could be very interesting.

22 jennieliu { 10.27.08 at 11:14 pm }

A few years ago, on my morning commute to school, I remember reading an article in the Metro addressing the issue of the city’s diminishing arts community due to pricey properties and leases. Many of the city’s once unique and funky arts galleries, exhibits or boutiques were gradually moving out of the city to more affordable destinations in nearby states when housing prices skyrocketed. Even in midst of that problem, the museums of NYC still stood strong and continued rolling out new and amazing exhibits every once in a while. However after reading “Museums Fear Lean Days Ahead”, I’m not so sure our biggest arts institutions are holding up too well in the face of the financial crisis. Big-time museum sponsors such as Lehman Brothers are no more or have begun to decrease their endowment funds leaving museums in a pinch. On top of that, the economy’s current situation leaves museum curators and directors alike to wonder whether “the most beneficent of museum trustees” and members who fork out anywhere from $50 to $60,000 for special privileges will continue to show their support for the museums or withdraw to keep more capital in their pockets. I hope museums and city officials alike will find a means to save the museums from collapsing under the pressure of the current financial crisis. Thankfully, not all sponsors have pulled out their support but rather continue to donate unmentionable amounts to support the arts.

23 taeminkim { 10.27.08 at 11:14 pm }

With everything going the way it is in the market, how is art selling doing? Well, the end of art would be the “least of anyone’s worries”, says Roberta Smith in the article, “Frieze Art Fair Feels a Big Chill”. Although there are many art pieces being viewed, with many people craving them, there are rumors that people were just merely looking without having any intention to buy them. This can possibly show a sign of a less demand in art pieces. The doorway decorated by Lily van der Stokker at the Art Fair is very cool. The person entering the door is designed to look like a 3-dimensional figure. I think I want that design painted on my wall.

The show “Man Men” will broadcast its third season. After watching a couple of clips, I can see that this show may be a hit. The acting is very good. Sometimes, the show seems to give a bit of a intensity in communications. This show seems to be interesting and I might give it a try.

You must log in to post a comment.