Art is Where You Find It

This week in NYTimes Arts, 10/24-26

What have you found of interest in the NYTimes Arts section? Add your comments to this post. I encourage you to leave multiple comments, and to comment freely on others’ ideas.

1 Walter Zielkowski { 10.28.08 at 1:33 pm }

In Friday’s New York Times, I read the article, “High School Musical 3: Senior Year (2008).” The article caught my attention because of my sister’s recent obsession with High School Musical. Just as soon as I graduated from Brooklyn Technical High School, they start a pep rally where the school that gets the most “points” gets to have a concert with some of the cast from the new movie. In addition, 300 lucky seniors get to go to Florida to hang out with more of the cast. My sister, who happens to be going to Brooklyn Tech during this promotion, is obsessed with getting the school more points. She updates me hourly about her school’s struggle to the top, regularly bragging about their rise from 20th place to 5th. Within the past few days, she took hundreds of online quizzes about High School Musical on my computer, some of which I have attempted but failed. Quite obviously, the movie series has impacted many adolescents; however, I have not personally had the experience of watching the new movie or any others in the series.

Stephen Holden says that the movie will feature 10 songs each of which, “belong[s] to a boy-band tradition.” I’ve heard Zac Efron’s and Vanessa Hudgen’s names all too often and it appears that the movie has an underlying storyline in which the two end up being in love. Take some ethnic diversity, some sport and musical comedy, and some well choreographed dance moves to some engaging songs, mix them together, and you should have another wholesome Disney movie.

I also found an article on Friday about an Internet hacker, Josh Holly, who managed to hack into Miley Cyrus’ MySpace account. Miley Cyrus is a well-known pop artist and actor, but I find Josh’s computer hacking to be an even more impressive art form than her singing and acting.

2 Walter Zielkowski { 10.28.08 at 1:50 pm }

In Sunday’s New York Times, “The Audience Is Involved, the Mirror Crucial” particularly interested me. As the title entails, this performance gets the 30 person audience involved in the performance. Ms. Achugar starts off her show by entering behind the audience and going through the audience. The mirrors are there so that the audience can see what is going on, both in the performance of the dancers and the performance of their own reactions to the unexpected entrance.
The performance is different for both the performers and the audience. When the dancers walk right next to the audience members, they start to actually feel what the audience thinks about their performance. They’re in your face, getting your honest opinion. Audience members tend to try to avoid watching the performance, while some others try and get engaged into the performance.

3 cbao { 10.28.08 at 2:33 pm }

“A Boy Gone, a Mother Scorned” was a very interesting just because it’s one of the first negative reviews that I’ve seen in The New York TImes. The article is about “Changeling,” a movie directed by Clint Eastwood that has been advertised very heavily, but apparently is not living up to expectations. The significance of this article was that I remembered “Changeling” was mentioned in “The Chameleon” article from The New Yorker, and that it was about a boy who had deceived the police into thinking he was the missing child.

I skimmed the article, trying to avoid any spoilers that it might contain (I suggest you not read the actual review if you had intentions on seeing the movie), but it wasn’t very effective. It’s ironic that the eagerness to read the review was the same eagerness that took the excitement and fascination about going to see the movie.

“The Audience Is Involved, the Mirror Crucial” relates to the discussion that we were having in The Chameleon post, so it was very interesting to read another perspective about the subject of the audience’s role in art. “Viewers watch mainly in the mirror running along the studio’s wall, confronting themselves and their reactions to Ms. Achugar’s loaded exploration of performance, gender and the body.” and “When you have them really close and you’re looking at their faces,” she said, “you can feel their response.” really shows the involvement that an audience has with the performers. I feel that a response from the audience is important for any play, able to shape and mold the performance for that particular night. If the audience were completely non responsive, the show would be stale over and over; however, it i the audience that turns it into a living and malleable experience.

4 nancywong { 10.28.08 at 2:55 pm }

In the Friday NYT I found “No Labels for The Twins butt Their Own” interesting because ironically I remember talking about the Olsen twins and how they are so rich. In this article it talk about the how people see the Olsen twins and what they really do. I honestly thought they didn’t work or do anything now that they were so filthy rich, but this article proved me wrong. It turns out they’ve been constantly working to promote their clothing, cosmetics, and entertainment company. I also found out they design the clothing themselves. One of their new brand called Row is compared to Prada and Chanel. The article also states that the twins are different because what they sell has nothing to do with their image. They make the comparison of Paris Hilton sells the image of a sexually untamed heiress. This article has completely changed my view of the Olsen twins as celebrities that don’t do anything. I wonder what happens to their partnership when they get into an argument.

From the Sunday NYT I really liked the article “A Neighborhood Where Everyday is Halloween” What caught my attention was the photograph of the Frankenstein and a monster-like family. I’ve always liked stories with a scary theme to it. I have this strong interest for subjects like vampires, ghosts, and other scary things. This was about a family called the “The Munsters.” This seems like a normal family just dressed up in Halloween costumers all year long. It’s supposed to be really funny and the shows are in black and white. I wonder why the show only lasted two seasons when it was so funny? They are going to release a 70-episode set just in time for Halloween. I want to watch an episode because the author makes it the show sound so good!

5 heajungyang { 11.02.08 at 11:26 am }

I am so sad to hear that Spring Awakening is closing. I had always heard it was terrific and always wanted to watch it. Thankfully it is closing in January, which leaves me time to watch it!

I also read “Leadership and Honor, Noble and Not So”. It is interesting when theater has political themes or is related to current events. We can understand the story better and have more fun watching the play. This play can relate to both the situation with George Washington and the play is being run for the presidential election currently going on.

The article “Skeptical and Familiar Are Served Side by Side” was about the ballet “Citizen” and some other ballets playing on the same night. Citizen is different because it is not the normal ballet with a set and classic dances. It starts off with no music. I liked how the article describes the sound as raindrops. There is more same-sex pairings than the traditional male-female pairings.

6 heajungyang { 11.02.08 at 11:51 am }

In Sunday’s NYT, I read “The Audience Is Involved, the Mirror Crucial”. I think having the audience involved is great because the audience can understand the show better and everyone will have more fun. But sometimes, I get nervous participating when it is only me because everyone is watching. But everyone participating is really exciting. But a consequence will be that the show may be less organized because it is the first time for the audience.

I also read “No Labels for the Twins but Their Own”. It is amazing when people are so successful at such a young age. I always thought fraternal twins were really different looking. But apparently they can look pretty identical like the Olsen twins. It seems like being exposed to Hollywood at such a young age can be both good and bad for people. I also found it interesting that the twins do not like to be interviewed together. I think twins want to have their identity and hate it when they are treated like the same person.

7 coreytrippiedi { 11.03.08 at 9:26 pm }

“Do You Speak Hollywood” is an exquisitely written article by Ben Brantley of the New York Times that reviews a broadway show entitled “Speed-the-Plow.” Starring Jeremy Piven of Entourage fame and other lesser known actors (at least in the scope of my cinematographic knowledge), the play is about “sharks” of the movie business that set out on an epic 85 minute journey to pitch their idea to a superior Hollywood executive.

I’m a big fan of Jeremy Piven. From what I’ve seen of his work on HBO’s Entourage, he is a talented individual with a large range as an actor. I especially enjoyed him in “Smokin’ Aces.” I feel that his role pertaining to Hollywood in Entourage would provide him extensive backing in the subject area he is to convey onstage.

However, the premise of the film sounds somewhat mundane and ordinary. “The Producers,” another Broadway show, had a similar premise and was quite entertaining. I think the fact that the producers of “Speed-the-Plow” resorted to a time tested plot is indicative of their risk fear.

The play, according to the article, consists of large amounts of dialogue. I, for one, much favor dialogue in a movie as a driving force rather than inane action sequences that accomplish absolutely no character development at all. I think Jeremy Piven, as an accomplished actor, will provide the chemistry his supporting staff needs.

All in all, the review was well written and made me want to see the play.

8 coreytrippiedi { 11.03.08 at 9:37 pm }

I’m not very familiar with what “cabaret” is. My dictionary tells me it’s generally “entertainment held in a night club.” Not being a frequenter of night clubs myself, I wouldn’t be able to tell you whether or not this type of entertainment tickled my fancy. However, I can tell you my preconceived notions of the genre included scantily clad women dancing on bars.

“At the Cabaret Convention–Saviors of the American Songbook” is a New York Times article detailing the fact that the 19th annual Cabaret Convention has begun at Lincoln Center.

What I liked most about the article was the the crux of the author’s argument (in favor of the dying genre) is made apparent in his first few paragraphs. I for one can’t stand when professional authors digress and convolute things to the point where you don’t know what the main point they’re trying to get across is (ironic since I’m constantly guilty of that.)

The author personifies a genre of music, which I found oddly refreshing in a review. “Please listen…I am in danger of dying of neglect,” he says, acting as a voice for cabaret music. In doing so, the author essentially establishes his position on the music and may use this personification as a basis for the preview of the Cabaret Convention.

At one point, the author proclaims, “As the nightclub world has shrunk, that kind of informality is largely a thing of the past. The question also continually nags as to whether there is a young generation to carry on the tradition.” Personally, I feel that the author’s cries are in vain–we are largely a virtual generation. Most of our business is conducted online–the Internet is our major source of entertainment. I for one do not know of a single person who would visit a nightclub donning the coy attitude that has become so characteristic of those that do and just enjoy the music. Cabaret is a thing of the past, and I feel it should stay there.

Although I recognize and acknowledge the fact that cabaret has, for the most part, become a relic of the past, It might not be totally a bad idea to experience cabaret–as New Yorkers, we have the means by which to do so.

9 miji0926 { 11.04.08 at 11:38 am }

10/24/08
“No Labels for the Twins but Their Own” is an interesting article about the famous Olsen sisters. I have watched them ever since they and I was young. From the 90’s family comedy “Full House” to latest photos on the magazine, the public watched the Olsen twins grow from little toddler to a successful businesswomen.

I am not much of a Hollywood gossip up-to-date girl. But occasionally, I do tune into the most outrageous stories of celebrities. The last story I heard about the Olsen twin was when they were attending NYU, which I’m not quiet sure if they still are, and that one of the twin was suffering from anorexia. The twins also were suffering from public anxiety according to “the sources.”

Before I opened this article on my Internet browser, I wondered: Where are the Olsens and what are they doing now? I knew they were multi-millionaires. I was shocked that it never occurred to me that the Olsens were working too. Their involvement in fashion industry is inspiring. They are the current designers of their line “the Row.” The twins fly from London to New York to carry out their business meetings. I really loved the way the article ended: distinction of Olsen twins as artist-moguls. With a young age of 22, the Olsens are determined to expand their dreams.

10/26/08
The Sunday NYT article “The Audience Is Involved, the Mirror Crucial” is about a dance performance that draws raw reactions out of its audience. Set with mirrors that reflect live expressions of both performer and audience, the dance room becomes a place of constant exchange. I think it’s a great idea for audience to get involved. Other than just watching a show on the stage, audiences can understand and feel the performance better than ever. Although the closeness of performers might be overwhelming in the beginning, I think it’s fascinating to closely examine the dancers, atmosphere, and mood.
I definitely agree with my peer’s comment: the audience brings the performance alive, not the performance itself.

10 taeminkim { 11.04.08 at 9:59 pm }

Music, it’s beautiful. Whether or not it is with words or without words, music brings out the emotions in people, and can be felt through the rhythmic sounds. “Classical Ghosts, Audible Once Again ” is an article which talks about 200 cylinders being found. This will bring back music by 22 well-known artists of the day. 1890 to 1923 were the dates in which the recordings were released. I am interested to see what kind of music these people have to offer. However, I am a bit afraid I would not like the music. After all, they recorded it over 100 years ago. Not only that, the kinds of people are not very appealing to me. “…recordings made by Lionel Mapleson, the librarian of the Metropolitan Opera…” I am not a big fan of Opera, and the fact that this person was a librarian makes the person seem a bit boring. I may also be wrong, and it may also change my perspective on older recordings of music.

11 taeminkim { 11.04.08 at 10:31 pm }

“A Boy Gone, a Mother Scorned” is an article about the movie “Changeling”. The setting is 1935. Christine, a woman who finds out that her son is missing, is casual at first when trying to find him. As time passes, she is brought up by the police with another son (who is not her original son, Walter), and she is ridiculed as a lunatic as she claims that he is not her son.
Changeling seems like an interesting movie. A woman, who is in her darkest times, seeks help. Later, Walter’s disappearance mystery becomes to become unraveled. A boy comes out of thin air and Christine sees the injustice in the world. As much as she wants to accept the fact that he is her son, she is covered in darkness, and paints herself as an unfit mother. This movie concentrates on all aspects. Not only a plot, but emotions, as well as justice.
P.S. Angelina Jolie is Christine. She is pretty

You must log in to post a comment.