Art is Where You Find It

Pertaining to Different Tastes – The Guggenheim

Filled with exhibits pertaining to various fields of art, the Guggenheim is suited to attract visitors with different tastes. The collections range from paintings done in the 20th century to modern day photographs taken with high-resolution cameras. As you work your way up the spiraling ramp to reach the next floor, the artwork becomes less dated and in a way, more futuristic.

When I arrived at the Guggenheim, the first thing that stood out to me was the architecture. The exterior was pure white, flawless and surprisingly untouched by time. The shape was dome-like, resembling a stadium more than a museum. Inside, the museum walls are covered with stamps of different colored phrases that seem unimportant by themselves, but when coupled with ones of the same color, tell a story: “Those I would not like to know”, “Those I would like to know”, etc. However, though the painted lines were intriguing, my attention soon focused on the museum’s main exhibits.

The lower floors were inhabited mainly by paintings that were produced in the early 1900’s. These were done with beautiful and full of vibrant, bright colors. In some paintings, the brushstrokes created a fog-like atmosphere that my ability to see the main object; one, which exhibited this style, was Edouard Manet’s “Before the Mirror”, which depicted a wealthy, plump woman staring into a full-length mirror. We are only able to see her back, and the image that is reflected off the mirror is severely distorted.

As I went higher, the style of art shifted from paintings to photography. There were several exhibits of works by Catherine Opie, whose photos definitely stand out from the norm. One of her collections consisted of portraits of transgender people; I considered it to be risky for her to have an exhibition pertaining to this topic of sexuality because some viewers might be repulsed by the images. Another collection featured photographs that seemed more like ones that were pulled out of an album than pictures meant to be placed in an exhibit. However, this gave off a homey feeling and I felt that I was able to relate to them.

The artwork became progressively futuristic as I approached the apex of the Guggenheim. The main attraction was the revolving hotel room. Only three pieces of furniture are present—a table with two chairs tucked under it, a dresser, and the essential bed. All of these items slowly rotated counterclockwise, slow enough to prevent any feelings of nausea should a visitor actually decide to pay the hefty price to stay the night on the bed.

The varying exhibits of the Guggenheim will make it a pleasant stay for anyone because they appeal to a diverse audience. From 20th century paintings to photography to future hotel rooms, the artwork will keep you entertained. There is also a projector that shows short clips from classics, if you so desire to take a break.

You must log in to post a comment.