Art is Where You Find It

Martin Klimas at Foley Gallery

Martin Klimas’ Flower exhibition at the Foley Gallery was a truly enjoyable experience. The photographs consisted of blossoming flowers arranged in a vase placed against colored backgrounds. You might think what’s so great about flowers? However, these photographs were taken at the split second the vases shattered while the flowers were still standing. At first I thought it just photographs of models with shattered pieces of glass glued to cotton but that turned out to be wrong. The photographer was able to create such beautiful images due sound detected flashes from his camera. Each time the vase hit the floor, the flash would automatically go off taking many pictures in one second. I love the photographs because it gives you the still image of something you can imagine in your mind but you don’t see it happen often in reality. Klimas’ photos allow you to see shattering transformations for more than the usual fraction of a second.

1 sophling { 12.06.08 at 3:22 am }

This is a cool technique to capture shattering transformations in photographs. I like how you described in great detail how the photographer is able to capture all of this because at first glance it looks pretty complicated.

2 Walter Zielkowski { 12.06.08 at 4:08 am }

This reminds me of a Discovery Channel show that came out recently: “Destroyed in Seconds.” You might have heard of it. Maybe not. When I saw your post (particularly the picture) a couple of days ago I knew it reminded me of the show, but I couldn’t think of the name of it until just now.

3 leliaxtan { 12.08.08 at 3:57 am }

This exhibit was amazing! I actually thought it was really cool and went to look at it myself and will do a review on it. Your descriptions are awesome as well.

You must log in to post a comment.