Music of MTA: A review, feature and mini-interview (Final)

Beginning with the rumbling of the rails, below is a compilation of the music of MTA and mini-interview of what one musician, Salieu M. Soso, thinks music is.

This is, the New York City MTA (Metropolitan Transit Authority). The next stop is…Please listen clear to the music of MTA.

Believe it or not, the New York City MTA provides millions of rides (specifically 8,739.680 average weekday ridership) daily. People depend on it to go school, to work, to tour or just to commute their personal lives. But asides from transportation, the MTA provides something that is worth more than a $2.25 MetroCard. That something is the enlightening music, which lurks and lives, in the city caves; yet graceful gives…the joy of music.

Hoping on the train, commuters have much on mind: Where is the train? Where are we going? How are we going there? When will we get there? How can I spend my time wisely? Why isn’t the train faster than Time? All these Ws are the cause of much stress of commuter’s lives. Some can handle it, others can’t. But something that acts as a catalyst in helping us cope better with MTA mishaps is some music. Musicians are licensed and scattered across the major of the 734 stations. Some are New York’s own, and some come from around the country and world to show their magic to New York. And many, if not most, are quite talented. They have the musical charm which stops some busy New Yorkers in their feet, so they may listen, admire, and give dollar or two, as a way to sacrifice some of their sickness and stress; for as they say, music is the medicine for the sick soul. It truly is a spectacle to hear the magic of these humble musicians, who are willing to sit on the floor, underground, in the midst of a sea of people, so they can possibly satisfy at least one person, and thus satisfy and justify their love, their art.

I hope that this music lives forever, despite all our technological ignorance; i.e. iPod in my ear equals nothing I can hear. Give a minute and enjoy this minute music. It will become a reason to partially love, if not wholly, the MTA. So let rumble and rattle the roaring music of the rails. Listen to the music of vivid voices, those deaf and loud, the stories that the entail. But if you still fail, listen to the Kara player, the drummer, the guitarist, the crier and the music to which they hail.

1 Juan Mendez { 12.04.09 at 5:17 am }

I really like the video. I feel like a lot of us do not appreciate the music we hear all over NYC. We are either too busy, in a hurry, or getting annoyed at the musicians instead of admiring them. I am glad this blog allows us to speak of and recognize these musicians because they really add art to the, otherwise, very boring underground, and are an ideal part of the NYC lifestyle.

2 ploew { 12.04.09 at 10:29 am }

I really liked the video. Although I sometimes hate the sound of steel and the closing doors sound, I never really thought about using it in a video! Also, I pass by 42nd street all the time and I have never seen the Kara player. He was right…music does heal the soul! Next time I go around there, I should definitely appreciate his music and the art and music all around New York City in general.

3 sjiang { 12.04.09 at 3:24 pm }

I love the video! I love stopping to watch the shows/people playing the instruments. I think it adds to the diverse culture of NYC. It is an experience that can only be experienced by living in NY!

4 shussain { 12.04.09 at 7:00 pm }

We often underestimate the talent that we see in the subways. Sometimes I’m just amazed at the kind of music they play. Your video wonderfully showcased the music we all hear but do not always appreciate. Wonderful job.

5 Tiffany Wong { 12.04.09 at 11:49 pm }

People nowadays walk around with this blasé attitude. Sometimes I wonder if most of us are just automatically transformed into zombies when we go out into the city. How can we blindly walk past these talented musicians without taking even a moment to notice and appreciate them? Thank you for putting this video together, and writing the review. Great job, Muhammad.

6 Angela Wu { 12.06.09 at 12:59 am }

I really liked your composition of the whole subway theme. Even though, we also did an interview on MTA musicians, yours goes into depth in a whole new direction and I’m glad I got to see this.

7 lhaviv { 12.08.09 at 12:28 pm }

WOW! You expressed the message so well in your writing.I love the poetic form of your last paragraph. I loved your video! It really is true. The ipod can only do so much. Nothing will ever be as real as live music.

8 ploew { 12.08.09 at 12:47 pm }

I really loved the way you used rhetorical questions in the second paragraph especially with the long string of questions. That was not only effective but it really stresses your point. Also, I love your metaphors and phrases such as one is in a “sea of faces.” Your ideas are very creative!!!!!!

9 lhaviv { 12.08.09 at 12:50 pm }

I totally agree with Phillip I also really loved your rhetorical questions. I also forgot to mention: I love how you filmed the subway!! really awesome video=))

10 ploew { 12.08.09 at 12:56 pm }

Yea! I agree totally with Linda! I loved how you traveled to so many places such as Times Square, Grand Central and Union Square. The sounds of the subway are fascinating and not something I would appreciate in the past.

11 Muhammad Javed { 12.20.09 at 4:53 pm }

Thank you Philip, Linda and all. Much appreciated.