Alfred-Stieglitz-Winter-Fifth-Avenue.jpg
'There is something in the New York air that makes sleep useless.' Simone de Beauvoir

When I see this picture, I see and feel New York, a place that never stops even when the snow is as thick as smoke. New York has instilled a certain restlessness within me, and I could not be prouder of that trait. The reason I chose Simone de Beauvoir’s quote is because of how much I can relate to it. Just like how the carriage driver and his horses drudge through the snow, I persevere through each day, hoping to discover something new about the place I call home. Sometimes, there truly is no time for sleep!

Also, something I noticed in the photograph was the difference in the amount of snow on the sidewalk and on the street. Even when it snows nowadays, street-sweepers constantly patrol our avenues to ensure that nothing disrupts the pace of our busy lives. Some people enjoy the serenity and pureness of the snow. New Yorkers view it as a hinderance that causes our trains to be delayed, and yet, sometimes it’s good to stop for a moment to appreciate a scene like the one Stieglitz was able to capture.

A snowstorm audio file helps to recreate some of the chaos that Stieglitz also captured in his photograph. By playing the audio and looking at the photograph, I added another dimension to this interpretation. I felt like I was really in Stieglitz’s shoes (or boots), while he waited for his chance to take that picture. I hope that other viewers are able to experience some of that raw emotion as well while they analyze the picture. New York isn’t a place that can be captured in a single photograph. New York is comprised of all of its sights and its sounds, merged together into the city that we love, and this post attempts to capture just a small part of that composition.

Be the first to leave a comment!