'To me, the American Dream is being able to follow your own personal calling. To be able to do what you want to do is incredible freedom'. - Maya Lin
index.jpeg

This photograph by Berenice Abbott represents a part of what the city means to me. An onlooker might only see rows of appliances stacked on shelves, but in my eyes I see a snapshot of my interpretation of New York City. Since I come from an immigrant family, the idea of the American Dream was always itching at the back of my mind. When I look at Abbott’s photo I am driven to think about the work put into creating a small business like a drug store. What had to be sacrificed? What had to be compromised? Questions like these strike me first; I don’t just see a black and white photograph, but a dream brought into fruition. Someone’s perspective led to the creation of a convenience store on 44th and 8th avenue, a perspective that demanded that person to work.  I know that I have dreams. I have dreams that have been met, dreams that haven’t been spoken, and dreams that I have yet to realize. New York City is a land of boundless opportunity where the efforts and visions of individual needs can be met in a sea of infinite other needful people. What I desire from New York City is to be a part of that sea where I can lay out myself and attempt to swim to the end of my goals. I want to also learn about the lives of other people that I meet, learn their stories, and integrate the lessons that I learn into my being. As of now I am on the biochemistry track to hopefully work in the pharmaceutical industry, but I also have a passion for music that competes for a permanent place in my life. Just as how sacrifices must be made in order to reach a goal, the photograph by Berenice Abbott reminds me of my conflicting desires, and the end result of my efforts.

Be the first to leave a comment!