Claudine

Keen-eyed for Kinokuniya

Although I’ve been to Kinokuniya multiple times before, our trip was the first time I fully appreciated the store’s integrity. I’d popped in a few times to buy small gifts; towards the cash register, there are quirky items, such as a pair of socks bundled into the shape of a donut. One time, I bought a “Mana-tea” loose tea filter. Likewise, I only focused on the cute stationeries and toys in the basement area. Since I had never bought a book here, I simply glanced at the bookcases, without paying extra attention to the content of the store. I am elated that this project allowed me to see Kinokuniya with new eyes, as it is indeed one-of-a-kind. Kinokuniya strikes the perfect balance between a small bookstore and wide-reaching company. Its stock features most best-sellers and popular books, so it does not feel obsolete, and it does not contain nearly as many books as a large chain like Barnes and Noble. In a Barnes and Noble, the sheer volume of books can make the buying experience feel impersonal. In contrast, Kinokuniya‘s staff welcomed us, and Manager Takano even ushered us into a more quiet area so we can speak with him. Kinokuniya is a one-stop shop to check out a new novel to read, but what sets the store apart is how easy it is to delve into Japanese culture. After looking at the first floor, it is convenient to go upstairs to look at manga or downstairs to check out Japanese pens, fans, and small trinkets. Kinokuniya appeals to those looking for everything from Japanese language textbooks to Pusheen toys to best-selling English language novels. Its versatility and laid-back ambience is what will keep me drawn to the store, and will make it a timeless gem to discover for years to come.