Requiem For A Dream: Clint Mansell as discussed in class and one of my all time favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl5McGN2L-E

When you showed us the Mozart requiem, this piece instantly popped into my mind due to the similarities and due to my personal interest. Both pieces convey a strong sense of emotion through music, however the Mozart piece included chorus while this piece was purely instrumental. I would love to hear opinions on this audio clip so please feel free to add comments!

One thought on “Requiem For A Dream: Clint Mansell as discussed in class and one of my all time favorites.

1. Lux aeternam is Latin for “Eternal Light.” It is the portion of the Requiem where the text is “Grant them rest, Oh Lord, and let the Perpetual light shine upon them.” This recording feature the Kronos Quartet, a famous and very influential string quartet that was formed back in the 1980’s. I have to say that I find this music rather too repetitive. There are a number of composers who use mind numbing repetition as a stylistic trait. They are referred to as “Minimalists” and there are comparative figures in the visual arts. It would be interesting to explore the differences in meaning of this aesthetic as it is evidenced in different art forms.