Not All Mainstream Musicians Are Snobs!

(Although I could not find an article concerning this event, I felt compelled to write about it.  I’m currently still inspired).

Two Sundays ago, I attended a concert at Best Buy Theater in Times Square, mainly to witness a performance by Switchfoot.  After an enormous ticket fiasco with my friends, we finally went inside right before Switchfoot took the stage and were, thankfully, able to enjoy the concert.  However, we did leave early to go eat, but everything works out for good, right?  To our delight, Jon Foreman- the lead singer of the band- informed us via Twitter to meet him on the bleachers located in the center of Times Square for an acoustic session.

What a life-changing experience.  The front man- an amazingly gifted musician and lyricist, might I add- of a mainstream, renowned band took time out to meet with some New Yorkers in the midst of a chaotic touring and public appearance schedule.  Shortly after my friend and I arrived there, a policeman came by and told Mr. Foreman’s acquaintance (whether guard or manager, I’m not quite sure) that he needed to end the show after that song.  Upon being informed, Mr. Foreman somehow spoke with the officer and received permission to move to a different area, just yards away, to continue spending time with us.

Although I cannot speak for him, it was evident that Mr. Foreman did not meet with us all for publicity’s sake.  While playing a mixture of songs on his acoustic guitar and singing, he looked at every person in the crowd around him; he even had us all sing “Happy Birthday” to one of the girls in the crowd!  His body language was not arrogant or proud; his actions and interactions screamed humility in a manner only true humility can.  We might feel inclined to assume that musical groups, especially ones of Switchfoot’s caliber, would include pompous musicians and singers; but, Mr. Foreman certainly breaks this snob-stereotype as his life redefines what it means to use fame for positive influence.

I left Times Square that night knowing what it means to love God and love people.  Here was this California-native investing in the lives of New Yorkers- our fellow New Yorkers- which in turn, invests into our city.  Underneath an appallingly blatant, inappropriate lingerie advertisement (flaunted in the heart of our great city), Mr. Foreman offered his voice, time, and melodies in faith of transferring hope to us all, whether we were part of the crowd surrounding him or a foreigner passing by.  If what I acquired from this event can be felt from a recording of one song, I’m uncertain.  (Actually, it probably cannot because it lacks Mr. Foreman’s interaction with fans who chose to follow him as he walked back to his hotel, graciously speaking and taking pictures with them).  But, it’s worth an attempt.

http://youtu.be/c8eDPTRpMp8

3 thoughts on “Not All Mainstream Musicians Are Snobs!

1. Karissa, I was also at this concert! I didn’t know about his appearance after the show, though! I wish so badly that I could have been there! You’re so right about how he took time out of his schedule to spend time with his fans, and the fact that he is singing a song that is meant to bring glory to God (as opposed to himself or even the world) says a lot too. Switchfoot is an amazing band, and it definitely has the right idea of how to live life–living to serve others, even if that means playing music!

2. I completely agree. As radical as this might sound, I left that night realizing that we were the church in Times Square. It has been said that people are the church itself, irregardless if there are walls, musicians, singers, and speakers; this night helped me experience what that truly means. Nothing was “religious,” per se, about our singing, either, which I loved! I do not believe that God is about religion and law; hence, he was shared through our singing, whether most people realized it or not.

3. Interesting. Who could have imagined the confluence of a pop star, the Our Father, Twitter, Times Square and the NYPD. Especially interesting in the unusual generosity of a popular music figure.