Review: Behind Box Scores vs. Instagram Is

Posted by on Nov 3, 2013 in Uncategorized | No Comments

I decided to review two capstone projects listed on the UT Dallas website: http://www.utdallas.edu/emac/capstone/program.html.

The first capstone project that caught my eye was “Behind Box Scores: Better Stats for the Dallas Mavericks and the NBA.” This is probably because of my love of basketball, in particular the Mavericks (but who knows :p). This capstone project is highly detailed and it is clear that there was a lot of work put into it. I like how there are different tabs on the blog so that the information is dispersed and easier to find.

Screen shot 2013-11-03 at 7.39.52 PM

However, I also feel that this site has too much information for a capstone project. (I may change my mind on that once I get a chance to look through all the tabs) On the UT Dallas website, the name of the capstone project only deals with basketball and the Mavs in particular. The blog, however, includes information and research pertaining to other sports as well. I appreciate the figures, images, and videos interspersed within the text. It gives the reader a break from being inundated with too much text. I believe the blog can benefit from more visuals, and that is something I hope to keep in mind when working on my springboard project.

The other capstone project that caught my eye was “Instagram Is.” I actually do not have an account on Instagram, but it astonishes me how many people do and how much it has entered into their everyday lives. I like the simplicity of this blog. As soon as I clicked on it, I had a basic idea of the capstone project. There are also tabs included to divide the information as in the “Behind Box Scores” blog. This blog, however, is a video (produced very well) that is the highlight of the site.

Screen shot 2013-11-03 at 7.58.41 PM

The blog does not inundate with text, rather there is only enough to explain the project itself. I feel that if the author of the site included his process in creating the video (how he learned to produce and recruit people, etc.) it would make his blog more interesting and applicable for people looking to create videos for their capstone projects. I found it amazing that he has been able to reach out to so many people through various factions of social media (instagram, twitter, facebook). I hope my capstone project is also able to be understood and shared among different types of people.