An Engaging Play

I thoroughly enjoyed The Cherry Orchard on Tuesday Night, because it was very different from any other event we went to. It was a mix of every theme we had seen from the other events, except we were thrown into the play as audience members. The music was amazing, and it really complimented the setting of old Russia. The music didn’t overpower the play, and the only time it was the main focus was actually during scene changes and intermission, which I really though was a great addition.

My favorite part of the play was definitely the fact that I could see every actor and actresses’ faces. Their expressions were so clear. I saw every frown, every smile, every evil stare; it seemed so close that we as the audience were actually part of the play itself. It’s great to feel like that because we understand the play more, it’s more of a cozy event, rather than the very grand Don Giovanni at the Met, because at the Met, it was all very far away. I would have to say that event wise; I enjoyed the Cherry Orchard more. Also I would like to comment on the costumes of the actresses because they were very well made. Every dress was greatly detailed, and even at such a small play, it was fantastic that they were able to have those small elements. Of course there were not as many dress-changes as there were in Don Giovanni, but I really applaud the costume because not only did it fit into this setting (that was simple but extremely well represented) it was very authentic looking, even down to the boots that the men wore and the beautiful black dress that the mother wore at the party.

The theater itself was very different from any theater I’ve been to. The last event was at Carnegie Hall was a big auditorium where we had to look down at the performers. The Classic Stage Company had a great three-sided stage where people can actually look at the performers without straining their eyes. Also the performers ran on and off stage, using the exits that we used, and sitting next to some of the people on the first row. It was very funny when the old woman in the play took a bite from a cucumber and gave it to an audience member; it was also funny when she danced with a girl in the first row. It’s such a participatory play that it became engaging, not just because of the plot, but because of the way the stage director led the play.