Jacqueline Tosto- Week 1

This week in seminar I learned about the impact that human’s have on the environment and the destruction that we cause on a daily basis. If we continue at the same rate of damage we are now, the earth will loose many of its natural resources that we depend on. This fact is scary. However, we also learned that there are measures being taken to reverse the damage that we have already caused. We also learned that we need to create new ideas to be more sustainable.
I was surprised to learn at the extent in which our earth’s resources are depleting. The fact that only 10% of sharks, tunas, cods, and other large fish remain in the oceans is quite concerning. The Monaco Declaration states that severe damages are imminent and that the increased acidity of the seawater caused by our CO2 emissions is completely changing the composition of the ocean. The proof is there and yet no major changes are being done. I also was shocked to learn about Dead Zones and the measures been taken to fix them. The idea that there are sections of the oceans that can no longer support life because of humans is ridiculous. However, it is slightly reassuring that the EPA is taking some actions to force states to take better care of their waterways by penalizing them. Although this may not be the best solution, something is necessary.
I found the topic of environmental ethics very interesting. I am not sure whether everyone will follow the ethics that are put forth, but I believe that a difference can be made. Convincing the entire world that we must follow a certain guideline for the benefit of the earth is impossible, but convincing some may still be helpful.
Anthropocentrism is such a ridiculous concept. Although we need the earth resources, they do not exist for our own misuse. Everything has intrinsic value, and humans should be more careful when using the natural resources the earth has.
I do believe in the idea of relationism that Naess put forward. I think that all organisms are connected. Even the smallest of creature can somehow make a large difference. Humans often act as invincible creatures, but the loss of many organisms would cause great problems for everyone.
Deep ecology also seems like a logical basis for some solutions. Everything has a purpose and has value. Humans need certain things to survive. We still need to fish, raise cattle, and farm, but we have to be more cautious. We have no right to decide what can survive on this planet and in what conditions. At the rate we are going, many of our resources will be gone in just a few decades, maybe even years. Instead of complaining and continuing the same routines, we must try to find solutions. The situation is just going to get worse unless some form of effort is put forth. Not only do policies have to change, but the beliefs of the people. We need to stop taking the earth for granted and give life more respect.
Sustainability seems to be the major factor of this course. We need to find new solutions that do not deplete our earth of its resources. I think this course will be very interesting. I love nature and its scares me to know that future generations may not have rainforests or coral reefs to see. I think that at the moment, humans are too concerned with their own well being then to think about the environment, but they should. Policies must be changed to force people to think. It is our responsibility to take care of our earth and I think this seminar will demonstrate this.

This entry was posted in Week One - Due Sept 6. Bookmark the permalink.