Jacqueline Tosto

This week we discussed the pollution of Arthur Kill by the Mobil Oil Corporation. In 1993, EPA caught Mobil discharging waste containing benzene into open-air ponds without a hazardous waste permits. In 1996, EPA filed a hazardous waste case against Mobil alleging they mismanaged the disposal of the waste. Not until 2001 was the case settled and Exxon Mobil had to pay 11.2 million dollars in fines. This entire situation seems ridiculous to me. For one, it should not have taken 3 years for the EPA to file a claim against Exxon Mobil. The EPA had to catch Exxon repeat their offense 2 more times before anything was done. The amount of damage Exxon has done to the water system is ridiculous and the EPA should have taken immediate action to make sure the damage did not continue. Also, it should not have taken 5 years for the case to be settled. Exxon could have been continuing dumping without any repercussions. Another severe problem is that regardless off the fines, Exxon Mobil still had billions of dollars worth of profit. Obviously having to pay a fine will not hurt the company making them stop dumping. Big companies do not have a hard choice between free enterprise and government regulation because no fine will be big enough to truly affect them.
We also discussed air pollution in urban environments and the dangers they cause. The primary pollutants are S, N, C oxides, toxic gases, and particulate matter. Many of these toxins come from human activities, such as the release of toxic gases from water treatment plants. Some of the gases are colorless and cause severe damage if not captured before emitted into the atmosphere. These gases cause heart disease, cancer, and various other illnesses. Obviously something must be done. People cannot be afraid to go outside and be kept indoor at the risk of being poisoned by a gas. That is ridiculous and highly illogical. Something more practical should be done, like forcing companies to not release the gases the way they do now.
I think that the policy to ban lead in gasoline is a good idea. Even if it may not be the solution to all problems, it may help a little bit. Any little bit of effort can make a difference. It is a comfort to know that scientist continue to test for gases and to see their effect on the environment, such as the experiment conducted in Central Park. Although the highest portion of lead was not due to gasoline, we still can now understand a little more of the affect it has.
The most important thing I learned in seminar this week was the on November 25th, 1968 the White Album came out by the Beatles. The Beatles are my favorite band so I am always happy when I meet new people who appreciate their genius. Although the White Album is not my favorite album by the Beatles, (mine in Abbey Road) I think that the album is a masterpiece and all should appreciate its greatness.

This entry was posted in Week Three - Due Sept 24. Bookmark the permalink.