Every Small Action Counts

After reviewing many case studies about the toxic presence that certain practices present to not only the environment but also people, I understand even further the necessity of making meaning of our waste. What I mean by waste is not only the garbage we produce daily on an individual basis but also the waste we encounter when we travel or work. We have seemingly accepted the presence of incinerators, power plants, and other man-made commodities in places where we live and go to school. While all of these constructions make our lives easier, in terms of accessing power and dealing with the aftermath of our waste, they present a huge problem to our health and the environment. As is always the question, what shall we do then to rectify the problem? In my opinion, the solution is in awareness and small actions taken by everyone.

One case study that exemplifies the acceptance of waste or residue in our everyday lives is one in which researchers detected steel via monitors carried with students during the winter and the summer. In the winter, there were higher steel measures detected by the monitors due to the braking of trains; the students inhaled the steel particles when the trains braked. That no one, mainly speaking policy makers, did anything with this knowledge demonstrates the, at times, lackadaisical transportation system, which seems more concerned with convenience and profits, rather than the people’s safety. Just a few small changes may help implement safer conditions for travelers, especially those in New York City, who are so closely affected by the steel particles from the train brakes. If more money was invested into research to devise a more efficient and healthier system, many health problems and exposure to toxicity can be avoided. The problem still rests at, however, who is responsible for financing such an effort. In the end, matters become dust under the rug and nothing seems to get done.

Similar to this are the landfills and brownfields that are growing in size with waste such as plastic containers, paper, and disposable pampers. One cannot bypass the fact that humans produce waste. The focus, then, is not the cessation of waste production but rather the limitation of waste production. Although it may sound personal, one example of limiting waste is using less toilet paper or paper towels; that is, one should use what is necessary. The following question then surfaces: what are the limits of necessary? To me, necessary is the minimal amount required to effectively carry out a task without producing excess waste. In order to practice limits, as I have highlighted in previous responses, we must work towards a common goal of finding what necessary means to assist in preserving the environment and the safety and wellbeing of humans.

To not give the wrong impression, I must say that I have, at times, accepted toxicity in the environment and do use excess materials in life. To expound on this acceptance, I point to an example in my hometown and one in the area of the high school I attended. For a great portion of my life, I have lived in one house, which is located next to a light plant. Although the light plant does not produce any obvious danger, such as black fumes or wretched smells, I often ponder the effects on the health of my family and myself of having such a plant in close proximity. Thinking about the plant now, I never really took the time to look up the hazards of light plants next to homes. This example demonstrates that I accepted this juxtaposed light plant in my hometown. Similar to this is the sewage treatment plant in Rockaway Park, which is right across the block from the high school I graduated from. This institution had a greater impact on my senses than the light plant because the sewage treatment often produced a wretched smell. Even more, the plant is located extremely close to water and presents a problem to the cleanliness of the water. I did not once, however, take the time to do some research about or volunteer work in this area, and rather accepted that the problem was present and the neighborhood would find some way to fix the problem. My experiences with these two environmental hazards exemplifies that with small actions, such as educating oneself about the problem and then making efforts to eradicate the issue, we can collectively make the Earth a cleaner, healthier place.

It may sound cliché to say that every act counts, but in term of the environment, this notion may be true. If we all make the effort to reduce our waste production, such as using less or reusing resources, then we can reduce the adverse impact we have on the Earth, such as the toxicity that follows with landfills, brownfields, light plants, and more. A fortunate aspect of this science and technology course is that I gain exposure to the details of the issues. On a more generalized level, these details are helping me form a renewed appreciation for the environment and are making me feel uncomfortable, in the sense that I feel the need to take action, even in the smallest way, to resolve the environmental crisis.

Sherifa Baldeo

This entry was posted in Week Four - Due Oct 1. Bookmark the permalink.