Week Eleven Class Response – plaNYC

Bloomberg’s plaNYC is truly an incredible effort and probably Bloomberg’s biggest ever. The initiative is very far-reaching and has actually been seeing implementation already, even though the date set for implementation of the goals is 2030. Typically I am more hesitant than anyone about these types of initiatives and efforts, and more specifically I am skeptical that they will actually work, but plaNYC actually looks promising. I think a key to its potential success will be the early work put in that has already been done. Having 97% of programs launched within the year after the program started shows that although the undertaking is massive, the Mayor’s office is starting now rather than waiting until it is too late. While I can see the logic those opposed to plaNYC would present, namely that it is too much money being spent and an example of big government, I really think Bloomberg did it right with this one. For the entire semester I have complained every week of humans not having a proper outlook or being shortsighted in their handling of the environment, but for once I think someone took a step back and actually thought in the sense of the greater good. If plaNYC is successful I think it will probably be the greatest accomplishment of Bloomberg’s time in office, and it will remain as a siginificant legacy.

Part of what I think makes plaNYC so appealing is the plan really does not outstep its fair sphere of influence. An initiative of this kind seems perhaps best on such a small scale, for truly what plaNYC is setting out to accomplish is not necessary applicable to every city; tailoring the plan specifically to New York City insures that it is exactly what we need. If the federal government tried such an initiative I really suspect that some spending would likely be wasteful and the problems would not be handled with the appropriate degree of detail.

One example of the well-chosen initiatives is the plan’s call for expansion of mass transit use, and specifically the updating of the strong system we already have. The controversial congestion-pricing proposal, while perhaps seeming a bit extreme at first, would also do an incredible amount to create a more sustainable and less congested New York City. I can understand why the proposal was not passed, but I just can’t imagine it being something that people would want revoked once it had settled into the normal. While eight dollars is enough to make a serious difference, it also isn’t such a high price that it will have any serious impact on business on a greater scale. If it was a big enough difference even to close a few businesses, the others that were able to operate while making a smaller impact on the environment should be favored anyway.

I’m really very glad that Bloomberg created plaNYC and I have very high hopes for the program. I think the legislation could potentially seen as monumental in the future and could be a large part of what’s keeping New York City perpetually on top and ahead of the game. Sooner or later different cities are going to have start adopting similar initiatives and I’m glad to see New York leading the charge.

This entry was posted in Week Eleven - Due Nov 19. Bookmark the permalink.