I am not Mad about Garbage

Someone has to deal with the garbage. Poor Tullytown has to deal with NYCs, and a number of other small population areas also have to deal with the huge amount of garbage coming from large cities. What I thought was obvious from that lesson is that no one should have to deal with the consequences that can occur with living near garbage. It could be a small population or a big one, it doesn’t matter, every human counts so no one person’s health should be threatened. The alternative, I believe, is definitely the best option. I will admit I was slightly disappointed to hear that San Francisco managed to go through with the zero-policy waste program before NYC did, but I still believe that if NYC were to do it, then no other big city or small town has an excuse anymore. Food scraps, coffee grounds, & soiled paper can all be used as fertilizer to make fresh organic foods! Now that I think about it, it’s slightly gross, but it’s much better than to have piles of garbage near a residential area.

And I also find it sad that many people take advantage of those who do not have enough. Tullytown had nothing going for them economically, so they were forced to take others’ trash. The same goes for all of those transfer stations in the South Bronx and Newton Creek. Anyplace in Manhattan, I believe, will always be able to defend itself and find some reason, (and it will be legitimate), for why a transfer station can’t be located in the area. So because of this, I feel Manhattan residents, as well as everyone else, should definitely push for the zero-policy waste program. If you don’t want a transfer system, then push for the better solution. I don’t recall if you mentioned how much it would cost to have this program done, but I strongly doubt it would cost much. In the end, it will save so much money for the city, the same way they did when they enacted the clean water policy.

They should definitely get this done as soon as possible before it just becomes too late. When I think of too late, I think of Treece, thanks to Will, Gidget and Reva. I didn’t seem to realize that there must be some areas that are just too far-gone. I always thought they were close to being a complete disaster and that they must be saved. Treece is a terrible case, and the EPA is just stuck on what to do with it. And what can they do with it? Where will they put all of the waste that is just contaminated with lead? Pretty sure you can’t make fertilizer with that. Though Treece isn’t entirely a lost cause, it does teach us exactly what not to do in the future, like completely burying Tullytown with garbage! Something is bound to happen to that area if the garbage just keeps increasing.

But am I mad about that? I will say I am disappointed, but I am not mad. I know how it feels to get mad, how it feels to get very, very passionate about an issue, to the point where I am able to do nothing else but concentrate on the issue. I’ve felt it before, and still feel it, which is why I know the feeling I have towards the environment just doesn’t match up. It baffles me that we humans can’t even solve issues amongst ourselves; so how in the world are we going to be able to work together, put aside our differences, and solve the environmental crisis? I guess right now my heart is still selfish, in a sense, because it’s still concentrated on dealing with our species instead of the environment, but I believe it’s getting there.  When it does, though, I’ll probably explode, because there really is a limit to how much I can care about before the anger just kills me.

This entry was posted in Week Thirteen - Due Dec 3, Weekly Response. Bookmark the permalink.