The Messianic Moment

The twelve principles of engineering are fantastic and all, with the whole “telling companies exactly how things should be done, instead of saying that it just should be done,” is what I like most about it. But in the end, I cannot honestly say that I remember anything else. Of course, I don’t expect you to have us all memorize the twelve principles, but I am disappointed that when I think back to that lesson, all I can remember is the main point of it. As I’m sure that probably disappoints you too, I’d just like to let you know that after your lesson that day, I did remember something that I’d probably remember for years to come. I became slightly, maybe, I don’t know, crazy, about the words “messianic moment.”

I always wondered what was the word or words for what I was striving for. I of course imagined countless times of the day where the world will finally realize that I am right and they are wrong, as I’m sure we all have. But in all seriousness, something clicked in my head when you gave out this word. In order for the world to be changed, there has to be a messianic moment, and it can come from absolutely anyone. That’s what I love so much about it. It’s not always a specific person, like an Ivy League graduate who won at least 3 noble prizes. It can be an average individual that already has the emotional engagement needed for this change. I’ve had way too many people tell me throughout my life that I am only one person, and not buying things from a certain company or organization is not going to do anything. So what if I decide not to eat from McDonalds or Starbucks or Burger King. It means nothing to them, as long as millions of others are still consuming them daily, everything will be all right for them. But I have now reaffirmed my thought that yes, doing something alone can actually make a difference. But I must make people aware of what I am doing. The same way Rachel Carson released a book, or the same way Morgan Spurlock released a documentary. If I feel something is wrong, I must put all of my effort into fixing it and finding a solution, and then sharing the information I have found with others. Because in a way, it is true that alone, I won’t get much done. But I do have to start alone and then gradually work my way up. It starts from within, of course. It can’t immediately start with millions of support. Now what it is that I will be fighting for is a completely different and a much more complicated story, thanks to my passion for wanting to find a solution to every problem in this world.

So I will switch to Macbeth, the lovely one act play that was done by Hayley, Seong, Tom, and Tom. I love creativity, and I wasn’t surprised that these four were the ones to do this oral presentation. I was excited to see what their play would be about, since I had heard earlier it was on Macbeth and I wondered how they’d fit that with the environmental crisis. And of course, they managed to alter the play wonderfully into showing the political side of the environmental situation. If only science was enough to convince people that something must be done about this problem. Unfortunately, money plays a huge part in people’s lives, and their play emphasized that. Someone may at first have cared about the environment, but once put into a position of power, greediness plays a bigger part. This was shown in Shakespeare’s play, and it makes sense that the group chose Macbeth out of all of them. Their story idea was honestly really good, and I can imagine that it would be a great, impactful, and satirical movie if someone were to actually do it!

This entry was posted in Week Eight - Due Oct 29, Weekly Response. Bookmark the permalink.