Design For the Poor Exhibition

In the article “Design for the Poor. (And Yes, This Is Serious.)” Michael Kimmelman writes about an exhibition at the United Nations that showcases designs that could help people living in poverty around the world. The review explains that, while the idea of the exhibition may “sound like homework,” the way its done actually makes it exciting. In the review, Kimmelman also points out that architects need to listen more to their clients to create buildings that will better serve communities in poor parts of the world, which is an important idea that the exhibition is attemping to convey.

I think that this subject is very important and I think it is great that this exhibition was created. There are many people in the world who are living in horrible conditions and are in need of help. The exhibitions not only informs people of ways that people in poor parts of the world can be helped, but it also gets people excited about the idea and may inspire them to come up with their own designs and creations that can help these people.

The article focuses on a few key points, which can be both good and bad. I thought it was good that it was very focused and conveyed Kimmelman’s thoughts in a clear and concise way. However, at the same time it did make me want to know more about the exhibition. Overall, I think this was well-written and did a good job of getting its point accross.

6 thoughts on “Design For the Poor Exhibition

1. I think that this exhibition is a great idea. Many people are living in poverty and in horrible conditions around the world and we should do everything can to help these people out.

2. I agree. Most architects care more about making fancy buildings in big cities that cater to the rich rather than buildings that serve a use for the greater good. This really is a great exhibit.

3. Architecture is one of the more dynamic ways people show both art and functionality. I’ve seen space saving architecture before and it amazes me. Specifically, Chinese architects are very impressive to me due to the problems they have to face (both poverty and space).

4. I definitely agree. I believe that exhibitions like this educate people on the severity of poverty and the conditions people in third world countries are suffering through. By helping out even in the smallest degree, one can have an immense impact on the lives of many. Sometimes people just need a push in the right direction in order to make a difference.

5. Hey Keith, I agree that this exhibit is addressing a very important issue. It is truly commendable that innovative architecture, which is normally connected with expensive structures, exotic mansions and such, is being thoughtfully applied to help out the poor.