Figaro Fills in For Fate

In Beaumarchais’s Barber of Seville, The Count pursues Rosine through various schemes and disguises. He tries to ensure that she will not love him for the wrong reasons. Fate already decided early on that these two star-crossed lovers would fall in love and no one could interfere. A reminiscent, clichéd theme of enduring love demonstrates how fate manifests in comedies and provides an advantage for the protagonist.

In many ways Figaro embodies fate. As Dr. Bartholo’s barber, he can relay the count’s messages to and fro, devise plans, and revise them as their schemes unfold. The count warmly embraces Figaro, “Ah! Figaro! My friend!” You shall be my guardian angel, my liberator, my guiding spirit” (48). The count continues to list demands, “Just let me tell you this. She is going to be my wife. If you help me conceal my identity…you understand…you know me sufficiently…” (53). The count transforms Figaro into an enforcer of fate. Figaro loyally carries out various tasks and constantly takes the blame for the Count’s mistakes. Fate seems to be on the Count’s side.

Figaro’s role as a doomsayer explicitly elaborates his role in the story and how he represents fate. He tells Rosine about Bartholo’s intentions. Bartholo’s servant Youthful asks something fascinating, “I ask you, Master, is it fair, is it right, is it just?” (60). Bartholo believes justice is irrelevant to consequences because he is in control and he is the master. Yet clearly, fate seems to be rewarding characters deserving of assistance and guidance. Fate offers an advantage to the Count whose notions are pure: “Figaro will come to our aid” (79). Fate seems to be fluid and leans towards to side of those who live passionately and freely as Figaro states, “A man must live as he can” (85).

No matter how many attempts Bartholo manages, they all do not see fruition and fate had already chosen not to support him. Many characters are against his proposal to marry Rosine. Bazile himself tells Bartholo the whole explanation and still he cannot sway Bartholo’s ignorance. Rosine curiously asks in Act Two “isn’t fate unjust?” To which the answer is yes and no. It is “just” to those who reap the benefits and “unjust” for those who suffer as a consequence of lost benefits.