Fresh Paint – “The Art of Soccer: Sculpture in Paris Captures Notorious Incident”

Six years ago, I was left speechless after seeing one of the most prominent soccer players at that time ungraciously head-butt another player at the 2006 World Cup in Germany. Zinédine Zidane, who was captain of the French national soccer team, was ejected out of what he would later reveal to be the last game of his soccer career. But before this incident, Zidane was France’s pride and joy— he was the son of Algerian immigrants who chose to play for France and would later lead a multicultural French squad to their only World Cup win in 1998. However, just one moment later, all of Zidane’s achievements seemed to be all forgotten, and instead replaced by the memory of a disgraceful act.

It almost seemed that Zidane’s head-butt was the dawn of France’s downfall. After he was ejected, France would go on to lose the game and the title to Italy in extra time. In 2010 World Cup in South Africa, France’s national team was plagued by racial tensions and conflicts between players and coaches that culminated into a player walkout. A usual World Cup favorite, France did not even make it out of the group stage at South Africa. And now, to make matters worse, a French artist has created an 18-foot sculpture of Zidane’s famous moment, displayed in the Pompidou Center in Paris.

Recently in the New York Times, Scott Sayare covered the controversy regarding the new sculpture. Standing in the middle of the Pompidou Center’s courtyard, the sculpture enlarges the two players involved, Zidane and Marco Materazzi into two massive bronze figures. Adel Abdessemed, the creator of the sculpture, named it “Coup de Tête,” a double-entendre meaning head-butt or an impulsive decision. The sculpture is almost real life—the same pained and anguish face is chiseled onto Materazzi’s face and the same stern and angry Zidane as was what happened six years ago.

The sculpture has ignited heated controversy in French politics and society. Critics have said that the sculpture has added onto the ongoing racial tensions and class structure in France. In 1998, when Zidane led the team to their first World Cup victory, the squad composed of black, white, and Arab Frenchmen. It was their success that inspired racial unity in France. However, just a year prior to the incident, racial riots in the poorer neighborhoods of France had begun. The sculptures, critics say, adds on to the racial aggravation.  Some have also claimed that the sculpture idolizes bad sportsmanship and “an ode to violence.”

In retaliation to the criticism of his art piece, Abdessemed, who holds both Algerian and French citizenship, said that his art pieces should not be looked at politically and is not a response to racial tensions. Abdessemed said that “[Zidane] expressed himself as a man,” and that is what his sculpture tries to embody.

In my opinion, I think that the sculpture should not be celebrating Zidane’s action. Although Zidane had good reason to head-butt Materazzi (Materazzi made some snide comments on Zidane’s sister), I think the sculpture embodies bad sportsmanship and should not be cherished. Adding on the racial and social problems that come along with the piece, I think it devalues the admirability of the sculpture and Zidane himself. Zidane was an exceptional player and arguably one of soccer’s greatest, and this sculpture does him not justice. However, I do think that it would be interesting to hear Zidane’s opinion on this sculpture and his reaction to it. Do you think we should be celebrating this moment in history as this piece of art? Do you think that this sends the wrong message? How do you think Zidane will react?

Article: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/12/the-art-of-soccer-sculpture-in-paris-captures-notorious-incident/?gwh=5A4849E01203128DC499F70514906A32#more-290624

11 thoughts on “Fresh Paint – “The Art of Soccer: Sculpture in Paris Captures Notorious Incident”

1. It is a bit absurd for Abdessemed to claim that his art piece was only meant to be looked at as Zidane’s “expression as a man”. Of course people would see the sculpture as a reminder of Zidane’s failure to behave on the playing field; Materazzi’s sculpted facial expression clearly depicts the extent to which he was offended by Zidane’s actions. And although Zidane’s behavior probably had nothing to do with racism, there are people who will view the sculpture as a symbol of racial tension.

Furthermore, it is humiliating and degrading to Zidane himself. I’m sure he doesn’t feel content with the fact that his one fault his in entire history of successes has become so highly emphasized. How would you feel if your failures in life were publicly displayed?

It wasn’t a very wise thing for Abdessemed to create this piece of art. It does justice to neither society nor Zidane.

2. As a huge soccer fan, I really like this sculpture because it reminds me of one of the most shocking moments that I’ve ever witnessed. I remember I was left speechless as I watched one of my favorite players at the time exit the field and leave the game of soccer in such a bewildering and disgraceful way. It was one of those moments in life that you’ll just never forget.
    Despite my liking for the sculpture, I completely disapprove of the fact that it is being openly displayed to the public. And to make matters worse, it’s being showcased to the people of France! I cannot seem to understand why anyone in France would want to see a sculpture of an incident that not only began their recent and ongoing soccer failure, but also cost them a World Cup. It just doesn’t make any sense to me.

3. I disagree with Abdessemed making this sculpture. By glorifying that one moment, he completely devalues Zidane’s career as an exceptional player. I think it’s disrespectful to Zidane to highlight his mistake because it really takes away from all the good he did. I also think the sculpture is inappropriate due to the social turmoil currently going on. Even if it wasn’t intended to make a statement on race relations, Abdessemed must’ve been aware of the effect it would have given the current conditions in France.

4. I agree with vivian that the sculpture should not be celebrating Zidane’s action. I don’t think that what have happened is something to be proud of. The Sculpter even added on to the racial tension in France. I think he piece not only shows bad sportsmanship like vivian mentioned but also displays France’s failure in soccer at the World Cup. I don’t understand why this sculpture was made in the first place. Why not create a sculpture that instead emphasizes on Zidane’s success? I think the humiliating sculpture is something that is shameful to both Zidane and the people of France.

5. This is an extremely interesting piece Vivian. I have a few questions for you (and everybody else who commented). First, how exactly does the sculpture exacerbate racial tensions? Is it simply that a member of an historically colonized group is being portrayed in a negative light, as stereotypically violent and unreasonable? Or is there more to it? Second, I wonder about our assumptions concerning public art, and ‘statues’ in general. Why do we automatically assume that the piece glorifies the act it depicts, rather than presenting it for consideration from a variety of perspectives (as the artist seems to intend)?

• Hi Owen! In regards to your first question, I think a lot of the racial controversy surrounding the statue stems from France’s 1998 World Cup win. At that time, Zidane led a multicultural team (composed of black, white, and Arab Frenchmen) to a title. Many at that time, saw this as a symbol and beacon of racial unity in France. Race has been and still is an ongoing issue in France, but with their win in 1998, I think that racial tensions took a backseat. I think in 2006, when Zidane headbutted Matterazi and France lost the title, because Zidane is considered an Arab Frenchman, many of those who were bitter over their recent loss, renewed and provoked these tensions once again. In regards to your second question, do you think a sculpture should still be made viewable to the public if enough negative opinions are made about it?

6. I feel that the statue should not have been put up. Although I feel Zidane did have a good reason to head butt Matterazzi, I don’t think he should have taken any action during the game for the sake of sportsmanship. The statue focuses on a bad move on Zidane’s part and people that see it will be reminded of Zidane’s impulsive move. Unfortunately it takes away from the rest of Zidane’s career and all his accomplishments. The fact the statue is also a potential source of racial tension is even worse. Controversial art or statues can sometimes have a positive impact by having a strong message, but in this case the results seem to be mainly negative, and that’s not good for anyone.

7. I think that the statue is not offensive in terms of race, but instead I believe that the artist solely wanted to capture an intense moment in French and soccer history. Though provoked, it was unsportsmanlike and unnecessary for Zidane to headbutt another player. This man is a professional soccer player and a role model to many people I am sure. His actions reflected badly on himself, his team, and his country.

8. I also believe that this statue isn’t offensive. For me, I see this statue as a critique of society and people. As Vivian said, Zidane was the pride and joy of France before the incident. However, after the incident, all we see and all we think about when it comes to Zidane, is his menacing headbutt. When someone becomes famous, bad publicity is something that will always haunt them. No matter how much good they do, that one action will always be remembered and prioritized. This statue itself seems to represent that fact. All we see is the statue: the statue of Zidane’s poor sportsmanship attitude. When I think of it that way, this statue seems to transcend the actually controversy and mock the way people think.

9. Yet again, someone glorifies a moment of weakness after a plethora of moments of triumph and victory. This statue does show Zidane’s “expression of himself as a man,” but it also represents his lack of sportsmanship and dismissal of all of his previous accomplishments. This artwork adds insult to injury by making sure that everyone remembers the headbutt instead of his winning strategies and great play. Everyone who sees this statue will be forced to relive the moment which put shock and embarrassment across the countenances of every Frenchman who cheered Zidane down. No one will ever be able to take France seriously when it comes to sports.

10. Although it was really messed up when Zidane headbutted the other player, I can’t help but feel bad for the guy. I’m sure he regretted it and, although regret doesn’t absolve him of anything, it may be taking it a step too far to imortalize what must be the biggest mistake of his life in an 18-foot statue. Although he did something very unsportsman-like in an international event, he’s still human and I don’t think he deserves to have his worst moment displayed permanently for people to see.