Magic Scroll _ Dave Kim

The scene is one of a Caribbean beach with palm trees everywhere. I’m walking around aimlessly looking for something, anything that intrigues me. The sun is blazing and the sand is hot. Not sure why there’s no grass to be seen. I feel like I’m the only one on the island left out. Then I stumble onto a pile of medium sized stones. Hey who put this here. Not cool. Not cool at all. I like to climb trees so I start scaling the palm tree. But there’s not much for me to grab on to. I slide down a little bit then move up a little bit. I’m not getting anywhere, but with some more effort I finally reach the top and just hang on for a little bit. All of a sudden I notice something on the ground. Something I didn’t notice from being grounded. Something I could only see from a different perspective. The pile of rocks I had tripped over only a short time ago was actually in the form of an x. I suddenly thought to myself no way. Am I in a book or fairy tale? I decide to explore, might as well since I have nothing else better to do. I throw all the rocks off and start digging. When I get to the bottom I see a treasure chest like I’ve been hoping for. Inside, a magical scroll with my name on it, talking about my future, tells my prophecy.

This scroll was blessed by a magical man before I was even born. He was the one that decided my name and the day that I would be born. I guess my parents believed in this stuff, but the magical man said that I would be blessed and have a good life. In it, it says my name and a bunch of things about my future. It says one day I’ll do something great… It’s been in my parents possession until I turned around 10 years old then they put it in my hands. It’s currently in the closet of my room, waiting for me to open it and read it again. I think it’s really cool and it really makes me feel special.

This scroll tells my story. What I’ll be. No matter what happens to me, I’ll know the end result. It’s fate. Maybe I can change my own destiny and I’ll write my future on to the scroll. Perhaps the words on it will magically change the next time I open it. It’ll always tell my future, even if I try to change it. It’ll point me in a good direction and give me hope.