The Ever-changing City

Cynthia Ozick’s “The Synthetic Sublime” focuses on the ever-changing nature of New York City. Because New York is consistently evolving, it seems as though an entirely new city emerges every 75 years. This constant change stems from the city’s endless desire to improve upon itself and push the boundaries of the impossible. It is this ambition, which inspires me and makes me want to take part in the city’s growth.

Nyafter6

However, as Ozick mentions, you can find constancies in the “mercurial” city. One of the best testaments to this fact is the New York City Subway. While the once orange and yellow seats have become an icy blue, a robotic recording has taken over the voice of the conductor, and a led light screen now conveniently displays the train stops, riding the subway will always feel the same to me. I still wonder at the diversity of race, socioeconomic status, and language in a single train car. I still get frustrated at how crowded the train station is during rush hour. And above all, I am still fascinated by how isolated I feel while being surrounded by so many people.

subway-scene-22Empty_subway_in_NYC

This consistent, yet ever-changing nature of New York City can be attributed to the interaction between the old and new leaders of the city. While the old leaders created the foundations of the majestic metropolis, it is the new leaders, who are responsible for its continuous modernization. However, this process would be rendered impossible if not for the ambition, which is rooted deeply in many New Yorkers. As Ozick explains, “only an outsider would remark on the city’s striving; for New Yorkers it is ingrained, taken for granted, valued.”

oldNewYorkLargefscottfitzgeraldnewyorkquote-1396207713gnk84

Overall, Ozick’s article brings out a sense of empowerment and a feeling of pride for being a New Yorker. She points out that the juxtaposition between the old and the new is exactly what makes New York so extraordinary. Ozick also correctly attributes New York’s success to this very connection. The conclusion of the “Synthetic Sublime” does not question whether New York City will change, it simple questions how. And for me, this is the most enticing mystery of all.