The Ever-Changing New York

As Cynthia Ozick mentions in ” The Synthetic Sublime” the city is always changing. From one generation to the next, earthing about it changes. This can be clearly seen by people older than myself who have experienced it, but even for me it is noticeable. Places that I went when I was young are no longer around, and areas that were once flourishing now lie desolate in comparison to the beautiful areas of New York.

Now I’ll focus on the Lower East Side that Ozick describes. When my family and community came to America, they settled in the tenements of the Lower East Side. It was cramped and small, and the people were poor most sold things on the street but none were rich or prosperous. From those humble beginning the children grew and learned more English and more about America. I admire immigrants for being able to pick up and move to try to find a better life when nothing is guaranteed. Now none of my community remains on the Lower East Side which are clearly both the same tenement-lined streets that they were in the early 1900’s. Now it has become an area with great nightlife and a beautiful place to live which shows the changing nature of New York.

ScanImage02564