Taking a Step into a World Unknown

Compared to the other forms of art we have discussed in class, modern dance is completely different. I have always participated in music class, ever since elementary school and all the way up until senior year in high school. I have seen operas and musicals before and even took part in a musical competition in Carnegie Hall. Having these experiences gave me a deep connection with music. On the topic of modern dance however, I am clueless; the lack of exposure to modern dance makes this topic a step into completely foreign territory.

During class I when we watched the song “Zombie” from FELA! I was able to enjoy it very much, but that was mainly due to the fact that I was able to focus on the fast-paced beat and upbeat jazzy tune. In the musical the song was the foundation and the dance help the beat take on a visual form and give it more life.

In the preview Still/Here I was able to get a sense of sadness, though the slow cello playing a sorrowful tune combined with the repetition of voices is what helped me draw this conclusion. Though I didn’t understand the dance as much I would have liked to, it seemed to illustrate the stages of grief as illustrated by Kubler-Ross. Because I don’t understand the dance isolating it from the music makes it almost comical, too abstract for my personal taste and leaves me with the constant question of “what am I watching?”

As much as modern dance isn’t my favorite form of art, I have to take the side of Bill T. Jones when the critic Arlene Croce stated that the piece crossed the line that separates artist and art. In her opinion the topic of the performance Still/Here was based on a personal issue that should have remained just that. I don’t think its possible to create such a boundary as art is an expression of the artist, the personalization of art gives it substance that distinguishes art from objects that appeal to our senses.

I’m excited about seeing the choreography of Bill T. Jones, but at the same time I’m also a little worried that I won’t be able to fully comprehend it.