NYC: A City of Endless Adventure

Cynthia Ozick’s take on New York City is fascinating as she reveals the continuity in an evolving region. Interestingly, this “region” is not a grassy field undergoing ecological succession, but the capital of the world, New York City. The author’s unique yet accurate characterization of New York as a metamorphosing metropolis is genius as she illustrates the aspects of bustling city life in the Big Apple’s most renowned locations. Previously, I disagreed with a few details in E.B. White’s “Here is New York”; in contrast, Ozick’s “The Synthetic Sublime” did not conflict with any of my opinions about the world’s greatest city (except for her claim that tourists are in a “quick march”).

alg-tourist-sidewalk-jpg

In particular, I admired the writer’s description of various neighborhoods in the city. I have always been enchanted by the classical architecture of uptown Manhattan and after taking Art History I was excited to appreciate these beautiful structures on a different level. In addition, I proudly support the West in the rivalry between the Upper East and the Upper West side. Even though I have not yet gained the opportunity to live there, I have attended high school on the Upper West Side and have since loved its “roiling marketplace” along with all its gorgeous brownstones and its constantly moving population. The “extravagant West” resembles my personality significantly more than the “posh East” and it is a dream to live there in the future (951).

upper_west_side_2

While reading Ozick’s list of various types of New Yorkers who “can emerge from any locality to live, if only for a few hours, in a sympathetic neighborhood of affinity”, I instantly checked off all the categories that I belong to (957). A museum addict, single, lover of music or theatre or dance, shopper, antique fancier, amateur painter, and a used- to – be S.A.T crammer; I am fascinated by New York’s diversity in identity. No one has the same definition for this city, and only in NYC can the person squished so tightly near you on the subway be your polar opposite. It is thrilling to live in a place where every new face has a distinctive family history, and I am always first to ask a person what is their nationality, or as Ozick explained, which pie slice they would stand on in a game of “War” (952).

diversity

It is astounding that after 18 adventurous years in this city, I haven’t even experienced half of its wonders. I have yet to stand on the roof of the Empire State Building, visit the Frick Collection, participate in a marathon or a parade, explore the Cloisters, go kayaking or jet skiing on the Hudson, dine at more of the cities esoteric eateries, and so much more. Ozick reminds us that one can never be weary after a lifetime in the Big Apple, and that its ever- changing quality is magical in comparison to most other cities of the world. The author cleverly sculpts her essay to unravel and conclude on the same note: that New York City is like an immortal butterfly that returns to its cocoon after every season to grow further.