Professor Tenneriello's Seminar 1, Fall 2023

Cultural Heritage

In the section, “Tangible and intangible cultural heritage”, it is mentioned that immaterial elements are also prevalent in defining cultural heritage like dance, chanting, singing, diets, and music. As a Lithuanian-American, my family has made it important to make sure I learned and participated in Lithuanian culture. My mom had me sign up for Lithuanian folk dance festivals, like Šokių Šventė in Philadelphia, which displays the Lithuanian community’s traditional dancing and authentic clothing, called Dzukija, from the 19th century. Dzukija is one part of the four regions in Lithuania where my family resides and it is the costume my family wears when dancing. This province is in the south, poor part of Lithuania, and their specific style was to wear aprons with smaller checker and stripe patterns, and skirts with bright reds, greens, violets, and blues. This festival specializes in creating a growing, progressive, community that protects European national heritage by making sure individuals of this culture, such as me, wear the fabric that honors Lithuania and spread the art of folk dance, called Polka, and music, called Dainos. My mom, grandparents, and their family all participated when they were in Lithuania during Soviet Union control because it is what separated Lithuanian culture from Communist party rule. Many organizations and schools were created in villages to teach kids Lithuanian music, art, writing, and language because it was something being taken away from them and banned by Russian troops. Since my family and others fought to restore Lithuanian independence from Russian control in 1990 and won, it was extremely important for future generations to remember what their families went through and preserve it so that they can have their own identity. This is an example of intangible heritage because it is not something that can be touched or an object displayed for thousands to see, but rather it is a performing art that needs individuals to learn it in order for others to see it and do the same. If people in the country lose their art then how would their culture be expressed? Intangible heritage deeply impacts people by making them experience participatory action rather than just reading history. This is how it would be passed down and preserved since you’re continuing the traditions that your own family has participated in as well. Lithuanian arts and music is something distinct from each country that should be protected and shouldn’t be lost since it helped my community and others to remember how diverse it is.

1. stephaniepisarevskiy

Dance is a great way to connect with culture! I read a lot about the former Soviet Union and its control over certain parts, especially Lithuania from the early 1900s, which is often overlooked in history textbooks. One of my favorite authors, Ruta Sepetys, explores many of these historical fronts in her novels, so I would recommend her books if you’re ever interested in reading historical fiction books about that time period and geographical space, although her novels are mostly more young adult.

2. Gab Milata

I completely agree with how you said that there are tangible ways that foster a growing and stronger cultural community because dances and festivals are a strong way to separate a specific community and bring them together. I can definitely relate to the part where your family fought for their independence from communist control, as my family went through the same thing in Czechoslovakia before communism fell and the nations split. These stories are also a form of intangible heritage, as it is passed down to us and kept alive.