Professor Tenneriello's Seminar 1, Fall 2023

Photography Reading Reflection

Photography and the way things are photographed can have different impacts on the human brain and perception. This is especially true on social media. Where, when, and how images are taken can have an impact on the average social media, especially for social media ads or for companies using social media for marketing. The visual appeal of these photos combined with the trending themes of the pictures help to greatly increase viewership of these posts, leading to increased sales for that company. I have direct experience with this through my beauty blog on Instagram.

In my area of expertise on Instagram, beauty and skincare, companies will post photos of their to their main accounts, as well as send products for influencer such as myself to photograph and promote on their individual accounts. Most of the time these photographs are “staged photographs” as they are called in the Widewalls article. They have images in the background that reflect the product itself, represent the ingredients in the product, or match the product’s packaging. For example, a watermelon scented product may be placed in front of a pink or red background surrounded bye slices of watermelon. The visual appeal of the photographs helps to draw attention the posts and therefore sell more products.

Social media trends also help to sell products. By hopping on a trend that is gaining popularity, brands can ensure that more users will see their product, and these fun trends also add to the visual appeal, which helps to bring attention to these posts encouraging people to go out and buy the product. Having experience with taking these photos myself, I definitely agree with Jeff Wall from the Widewalls article when he says these photos take preparation and thought before they are actually taken. It was interesting to consider how this is a fairly new type of photography that emerged with the birth of technology, but it makes sense since these images are taken in order to attract a younger consumer who is most likely more invested in their social media usage.

Both of the most impactful trends I’ve seen with my blogging experience occur every Wednesday through hashtags. There’s #watershotwednesday and #pinkwednesday. For watershot Wednesday companies and influencers take pictures of the products in front of some sort of fun water scene. For example I’ve stuck products under runnign water for an artistic shot. Pink Wednesday is inspired by the iconic quote from Mean Girls, “on Wednesdays we wear pink.” Whether the background or the product is pink, the eye catching color certainly draws attention to these posts.

I have done posts for both these trends in collaboration with different companies, and checking my insights for these posts you can see that using social media trends helps to bring traffic to these posts.

These social media trends and the fun and vibrant photographs posted to these Instagram accounts impact the consumers’ perception of the products. It makes them excited about the product and encourages them to even hop on the trends themselves after purchasing. The photography therefore helps to also increase companies’ profits.

Read more: Photography Reading Reflection

1. michaelakokkinos

I agree with Sophie, when people are taking photographs of their products, for example, they are able to alter and manipulate the background and visuals, like a director, so that they can decide if it will attract more consumers. They are also able to photoshop or add filters and change the colors surrounding the object so that people on social media see these and think it looks a lot better than how it actually is. Fun and vibrant photographs will always attract peoples attention, even edited, so that we get convinced that the product or scenery was actually real and if we have a unique trend going on, we are convinced to do it as well because the people in the photos look joyful.

2. stephaniepisarevskiy

I found it very interesting that you were able to tie your business in with the social media trends and, therefore, photography. I only viewed the negative aspects of social media and trends when it comes to compromising the identity of the photographer, but I can see how trends also serve as a benefit in more practical senses, which includes for small businesses and promoters such as yourself. This was a very insightful take using your own personal experience of how social media has enabled you to grow and to share your products with more audiences. It is interesting that many trends do consist of very saturated and filtered photos, even ones that are made to look realistic but are actually very edited. I wonder what your perspective would be in regards to whether or not photographers and editors have an obligation to their audiences to notify them when their photos are edited, especially when they are photos promoting products and services?