Professor Tenneriello's Seminar 1, Fall 2023

Exploring Vanity in the Hidden in Microcosms of Art

“Painting is just another way of keeping a diary.” Pablo Picasso. I’m not going to deny that I appreciate painting. I’ve pointed out in earlier blog posts that I enjoy a variety of artistic mediums, including music, theater, and painting. The expression “kids learn to draw before they’re taught to write” is one I frequently hear. I’m not entirely sure if that is true or not, but I have seen enough proof that if you give a child a pencil and paper, they will sketch anything, whether it exists or not. That arbitrary sketches are a form of art because we might decipher their underlying significance. Art is more than the works of renowned artists displayed in prestigious museums and galleries. It can be observed in the vivid street art that covers cityscapes, the musical street performers, the handcrafted goods manufactured by regional artists, and the rhythmic poetry written by professional poets. It serves as encouragement that everyone has creative potential that is just waiting to be discovered and expressed.

When we went out to roam around the neighborhood, I spotted a few drawings in the post office and the sculpture in Madison Park, which encouraged me to continue drawing. I would like to share a few sketches I made a few months ago for my art class in high school with everyone. Although I am not a skilled painter, I tried my best to portray my artistic thoughts. I hope you guys enjoy it.

1. Imaan Malhi

I really like how you said everyone has creative potential, I think it’s true that we should encourage ourselves to express ourselves in any way we feel comfortable. Also, I love your artwork! It’s all so beautiful.