Professor Tenneriello's Seminar 1, Fall 2023

Madison Square Park Art

During our viewing of the art in and around Madison Square Park, I took in many different views of the city and the varying items that fill it. On one hand, there are large, towering skyscrapers that create the skyline view the city is known for. On the other, there are parks filled with rowdy kids, animals, lively colors, commemorative statues, and plant life. In honor of these differences, I photographed three colorful paper pigeons, which I made out of colored-in recycled paper, in the foreground with some of the city’s large skyscrapers in the background. The pigeons are bright and stand out against the cold background of the gray and black buildings, and, within their folds, the writing from some of the old text on the paper can be seen, revealing that they once served another purpose but have changed to be something new.

(I have been having some trouble uploading my photo, so here is a link to a word document with the photo on it.)

1. Imaan Malhi

Ellie, I really enjoyed looking at your pigeons and I love the meaning behind your creating them and photographing them a specific way. It represents the juxtapositions we saw in the city very well.

2. sophb149

Wow, origami-that’s so cool! You must be really talented! When did you first start learning origami?