Professor Tenneriello's Seminar 1, Fall 2023

Photography Response

Photographs as defined by Susan Sontag in her essay, “On Photography” enlarges what is worth looking at and what we have a right to see. Through a photographic medium, the intrinsic meaning of images is left up to the interpretation of the audience, allowing them to uncover what a photograph reveals. I believe that through a photographic medium, nuances of the environment and the circumstances surrounding the period in which the photograph is taken are revealed, painting a larger picture of the challenges faced by society during their respective periods. As alluded to by Sontag, the 1930s consisted of photographers who photographed a pressing issue during their time period: Sharecropping. To do so, they would take pictures of “the precise expression on the subject’s face that supported their own notions about poverty, light, dignity, texture, exploitation, and geometry” (Sontag 4) therefore choosing to push forward the struggles of sharecroppers through a visual medium.

Furthermore, on a sociological level, photography reveals challenges faced by society through its representation of circumstances surrounding interpersonal relationships and the way in which we act toward each other. Examples of these circumstances can be seen in Sontag’s analysis of the presence of photography within families, where she indicates “Not to take pictures of one’s children, particularly when they are small, is a sign of parental indifference, just as not turning up for one’s graduation picture is a gesture of adolescent rebellion” (Sontag 5). Photography, in this case, helps to give an overview of the circumstances within society by giving interpreters insight into interpersonal behavior.

Even through history, we can see the ramifications of photography as it pertains to drawing a greater societal picture. A perfect example is used by Sontag when she mentions the photography of the horrors of World War Two that serve as “ethical reference points” (Sontag 16) emotionally charging readers and drawing a larger picture of the challenges faced by society during times of war. In conclusion, photography helps to build on our knowledge of society, painting a picture that represents societal struggles as highlighted by the interpreter.

1. sophb149

I thought the example of the war images was very interesting. I never really thought about how the way something is photographed can evoke and emotion in a person AND convince them in support of a certain cause. But the more I think about it, even historical images in museums are meant to evoke a feeling in you. Very interesting interpretation of the reading!

2. ahbabj

I really love how you were able to tie back the ideas of photography and its impacts to the past. It was a great analysis of how you tied it back to sharecropping and how it showed struggle.

3. michaelakokkinos

I agree, photographs are used to emotionally charge viewers. I liked your analysis of the World War Two photography because it able to evoke emotions from viewers as well as convince them to join a side and be part of the cause all from one photo.