Desdemona struggles with the severe disagreement between her parents’ conventional assumptions—symbolized by the requirement that she enroll in Princeton University—and her own desires, which originate in a desire for self-discovery, innovative independence, and the creation of an unusual career path—in Lauren Yee’s “Ching Chong Chinaman.” This disagreement is a reflection of the broader social dispute between multigenerational beliefs and emerging notions of what it means to succeed in the context of the American Dream. Desi’s story reflects the larger conversation about cultural identity, family relationships, and the variety of paths to success in the United States, highlighting the importance of understanding the complexities of the American Dream and appreciating the importance of personal interests and self-realization in addition to conventional measures of success. I can readily draw comparisons between the play and F. Scott Fitzgerald’s “The Great Gatsby,” which is often regarded as a negative indictment of the American Dream. In the book, Jay Gatsby rises above his impoverished origins to acquire an incredible amount of money and a modest bit of social cache in 1920s New York City, only to be shunned by the “old money” set. Fitzgerald is critical of the idea that anyone can achieve success in America if they work hard enough.

Like many other parents of immigrants, Desi’s parents see an Ivy League education as the ultimate level of accomplishment. Their desire for her to realize the American Dream in its entirety—a prestigious school, a stable career, and financial security—is represented in the pressure they put on her to get accepted to Princeton University. This parent’s desire that their child attend Princeton University reflects a widespread American immigrant family expectation. It expresses the idea that receiving an advanced degree from reputable schools is crucial for securing a brighter future. For many, enrolling in a prominent university represents not only professional success but also a means of overcoming social and economic restrictions. My parents share the same philosophy as Des’s parents: they believe that if you work at a reputable company and attend an accredited school, you are successful. By virtue of our success, they will get recognition from the community and be recognized by others. Because my parents had great expectations for me, I applied to Ivy League schools during the admissions process even though I knew I would be rejected. Why?” they inquired. When I informed them, they would reject me. “Are you not smart enough to go there, or what? Everyone can, even you.”

Desdemona’s awareness that she might not be “Chinese enough” emphasizes the prevalent pressure from society to fit into an established ethnic group, which is connected to the popular idea of the American Dream. The ideal part was frequently at the center of the American Dream, where success was associated with belonging to the majority social standards. Desdemona’s journey, on the other hand, disproves this idea by highlighting the significance of accepting one’s own unique heritage. Desdemona’s realization that she is adopted and actually Korean serves as an effective metaphor for the delicate issue of identity in today’s America. The American Dream has grown to include people from an array of backgrounds and experiences, demonstrating that success can be measured by a person’s sincerity and enlightenment rather than by cultural uniformity.

In a moving way, “Ching Chong Chinaman” eloquently explains the intricacies of modern-day family dynamics, individual goals, and the search for the American Dream. The play delivers a strong message—that the American Dream is not a generic idea—through Desi’s character and her concurrent conflicts with parental pressure and essay writing. It emphasizes how acceptance of multiple identities, appreciation of personal authenticity, and knowledge of the many facets of the American Dream are what characterize success in the modern United States rather than conformity to established standards.