Professor Tenneriello's Seminar 1, Fall 2023

Response #4

Lauren Yee’s play “Ching Chong Chinaman,” utilizes comedy, specifically dark humor, to highlight the experiences of a Chinese family who’s been living in America for generations. One of the family conflicts that raises larger issues related to the immigrant experience is the tension between assimilation and cultural identity within the Wong family. The family seems to have lost their cultural identity due to extreme assimilation, yet they grasp at a chance to understand their roots. This conflict can be seen as a reflection of the broader struggle of many immigrants who want to achieve the American Dream, and feel like being “American” is a part of that. 

The Wong family in the play intentionally defies stereotypes of Chinese Americans, which is a direct response to the pressures and expectations they face as immigrants. Throughout the text, I was reminded of the phenomenon of the “model minority,” which is prominently associated with Asian Americans. According to the American Psychological Association, this means Asian Americans are characterized as being “…successful, well-educated, prosperous and healthy—resulting in a lack of scientific research on the effects of racism, discrimination and marginalization on their psychological and physical health.” (American Psychological Association.)

This myth is particularly manifested in Desdemona, the daughter in the play, who both conforms to and rejects traditional expectations of her Chinese identity. Desdemona aspires to get into Princeton, and is really well qualified. In Scene 7, she says “Mom, I’m an Asian American female with a 2340 and a 4.42 GPA at an elite public high school. That’s like the worst thing in the world. Nobody’s going to want me.” (Yee, 29.) To the average reader, she must sound spoiled, as she has a status that most students struggle to achieve. However, she has a personal struggle of ego and recognizing her success. Throughout the play, Yee shows her trying to find ways to set herself apart, going to extremes to reject the average Chinese identity, eventually doing an ancestry test. This desire to break free from stereotypes and embrace individuality is a personal struggle many children of immigrants face, leading to problems such as imposter syndrome.

In the play, the Wong family’s irreverent and satirical approach to their identity mirrors the broader issues faced by Asian Americans and other minority groups.The tension between cultural identity and the pursuit of the American Dream raises questions about acceptance, success, and dynamics of cultural diversity in contemporary society. The concept of the “model minority” is harmful as it completely erases the struggles and pushes immigrant children to extreme measures in their pursuit to succeed. This prompts us to consider the broader issues of identity, representation, and the toxic culture of the “American Dream,” transcending the specific experiences of this particular family in the play.

Citations 

Sliwa, Jim. “Asian Americans: Model or marginalized minority?” American Psychological Association. August 19, 2021. https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2021/08/asian-americans-model-marginalized

Yee, Lauren. Ching Chong Chinaman. Samuel French, 2011.

1. Yinglin

I agree that the desire to embrace individuality is a struggle that often leads to imposter syndrome. When I wrote my personal statement for college admission, I really struggled to find something unique about myself to write about, as many people share similar immigration and education experiences as me. Feeling like you are not as good as others is normal, but it definitely helps to understand that different people have different strengths.

2. janavedano05

I really like the connection you made to the “model minority”, since it really does encapsulate Desdemona. Her character isn’t entirely unrealistic either, since the way she lies about her identity to colleges isn’t unlike how many people lie about their own identities on social media or to others to portray themselves in a better light, rather than their authentic selves.

3. michaelakokkinos

I agree with Imaan and I really like how you referenced the American Psychological Association and even added their citation. The Wong family really portrays the toxic portrayal of chasing the American Dream and how it can damage a family.