Professor Tenneriello's Seminar 1, Fall 2023

Blog Post 3: Food and Fashion

Fashion is a way that people can express themselves in the form of clothing. It allows for a persons feelings and ideas to be illustrated by not only being seen by others but also by being worn. Rick Owens is one such fashion designer that comes to mind when it comes to expressing feelings about culture and fashion. He is bisexual and shows himself through his fashion choices.

One of Rick Owens’ works that has caught my attention would be how he expressed his Mexican culture through his Spring 2020 Tecuatl collection. This piece of artwork involved him working with the United Farm Workers of America to feature their iconic Eagle Mark logo, which is a reference to Aztec designs. These designs help to highlight the importance of immigrant farm workers especially during the global pandemic. This sense of fashion brings into light how the lives of farmers and their farming culture was negatively affected due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It also involves past cultural references to the Aztecs, which brings out the aesthetics of the fashion design even more. It helps to show that the past, even if it is a very long time ago, is still remembered to this day and is being implemented in our daily lives, through fashion and other designs.

My friend Gab said, “This fashion design can help to inspire an evolution in your fashion sense.” This made me realize how intrigued I was by this fashion style because it really piqued my interest and made me want to dress in this style as well. It also made me realize how much effort I put into my fashion and the way I dress. From now on, I plan to implement this artistic style in my daily life, creating a wardrobe that fits my style and also matches Rick Owens’ as well.

1. Gab Milata

I like how you discussed the way that one’s feelings can be illustrated through a wearable art form. This is something that is overlooked by the vast majority of people. Rick Owens’ work definitely brings attention to the topics he hopes to highlight, which in this particular case was his Mexican culture. I also appreciate the feature 🙂

2. cla521

I really liked how you talked about important social events that were implemented in fashion. It highlighted how fashion is not just about clothes and can be powerful tools that help publicize occurances that people find significant.

3. Imaan Malhi

I like how you said our fashion choices represent our ideas and how we feel. Particularly in the case of Rick Owens, he was able to share a cause and highlight its importance through the use of fashion. I think it’s interesting how he incorporated Aztec symbols and designs although the issue was a modern one, showing how cultural history is still important today.

4. michaelakokkinos

I like how you plan to implement that artistic style in your life after attending the museum. I also find it really intriguing how Rick Owen’s put so much detail in his design to highlight the importance of immigrant workers whilst using the past.