Professor Tenneriello's Seminar 1, Fall 2023

Blog Post 3: Food and Fashion

Usually when I think about food, fashion is the last thing that comes to mind. Food is a different realm compared to clothes in my mind. However, after visiting the FIT museum to see the Food and Fashion exhibit, I began to realize how much of a connection there was between food and fashion as well as the relationship between those two and larger social issues.

A specific piece that caught my eye was a beautiful dress that was made up of multiple ruching in the section of the pastry desserts. It was a piece that could be described as “girly”. It had multiple frills and ruffles, the color was a cream with a pastel pink tint, and it was a dress. As I examined the accessories that were placed right next to the dress, I realized that there was a similar theme. The color scheme remained the same, a creamish color with pops of pink. The design was one that could be considered delicate, with small and intricate details. All very “girly” pieces. After reading the descriptions alongside the pieces, I started to make the connections between gender issues and fashion. “Words such as “sweet,” “dainty,” or “frothy,” are terms used to describe both delectable pastries and women’s garments.” The more I thought about it, the similarity between pastry desserts and women’s garments/fashion were brought to my mind. Not only were the colors and words that describe both similar, the decorative element was a main resemblant. Both pastries and women’s garments are thoroughly decorated, creating intricate designs that make each subject look the most prettiest it can. The outdated idea of how women were the ones who belonged in the kitchen creating these desserts had reflected into the fashion trends and intertwined into our society in ways that we did not realize. 

1. ahbabj

I really like how you talked about gender and food and how that related to fashion. I also like how you were able to make the connection between daily words with fashion, especially towards women.

2. sophb149

I also really loved that dress and had similar thoughts when I saw it about it feeling very girly, but you put those words and thoughts together beautifully! I like how you compared the dress to a layer cake and how both things can be seen or interpreted as feminine.

3. Gab Milata

I like how you made the connection between clothing and the underlying message of gender beneath the surface. The dress was very feminine and resembles a layer cake, which is how both were able to be described as sweet and dainty.

4. michaelakokkinos

I agree, I never expected food and fashion to have such a connection together. The ruffled dress was an interesting way of portraying the gender roles that women had during that time through cake and frosting like designs.

5. danieliqbal06

I enjoy your discovery of a connection between clothing and pastries and it opened my mind to perspective I didn’t see before. It was refreshing to hear about your connection between the ruffles of dresses and how they resemble the decorations of cakes.

6. KhuramAfzal

It’s fascinating how food and fashion intersect, especially when exploring exhibits like the one at the FIT museum. A standout piece for me was a beautifully crafted dress inspired by pastry desserts, featuring cream and pastel pink hues with intricate details. This exhibit made me realize how terms like “sweet,” “dainty,” and “frothy” apply to both pastries and women’s fashion, highlighting deeper gender issues. The meticulous decoration in both food and fashion reflects societal expectations of beauty and femininity. For those looking to explore unique cultural fashion, Signature Labels offers exquisite https://signaturelabels.co.uk/ , blending tradition with modern elegance