Professor Tenneriello's Seminar 1, Fall 2023

Blog Post 3 – Food & Fashion

When I first heard about the Food and Fashion Exhibit at the FIT Museum, I was honestly a little confused. I didn’t think the two were connected and couldn’t recall seeing an article of clothing that highlighted this idea–until I went home and looked in my closet. Whether it’s a summer dress with a lemon pattern or a graphic tee plastered with strawberries, these concepts are very present in today’s society and have been present in fashion history.

One piece in the exhibit that drew my attention was the Campbell Soup dress, or “The Souper Dress.” The Campbell Soup Company created this dress in the 1960s, and the repetitive soup pattern draws inspiration from Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s Soup Cans. But hidden behind the unconventional design and pops of color, is the theme of consumerism. I was surprised to learn that the dress is made of paper, and the tag even reads “no cleaning– no washing–It’s Carefree/ Fire Resistant Unless Washed or Cleaned.” This wasn’t meant to be a timeless piece, it was meant for innovative advertising and fashion that could be easily accessed, in this case through sending in Campbell’s coupons. Similar to Warhol’s inspiration that soup cans are relatable and recognizable for everyone, the cheap cost of paper dresses promoted inclusivity and fashion for everyone but promoted unsustainable fashion as well. AftThe rise of the hippie movement exposed the waste and pollution created by paper dresses, a major reason why the trend became obsolete.

History seems to repeat itself, and it seems like today’s emergence of fast fashion is the 1960s paper dress equivalent. Social media has given rise to “microtrends,” which last anywhere from a couple of months to a year. Now, consumers opt for cheaper, lower-quality pieces that can easily be replaced when a new trend comes along. Fast fashion has serious impacts on the environment as well as on small businesses and child labor practices, which are being exposed online constantly. Does this mean fast fashion will become as obsolete as paper dresses?

1. stephaniepisarevskiy

I agree, I find it interesting that we find ourselves exploring recurring themes whether that be throughout history focusing on fashion, food, sports, arts, dance, and other pieces of our culture. For some reason, we feel drawn and linked to different trends of the past and finding new ways to innovate them.