Professor Tenneriello's Seminar 1, Fall 2023

Blog Post 1 – Next Stop: 23rd Street

I made a scrapbook-inspired collage of the pictures I took around 23rd Street. Ironically, I take the R train to school every day, but I failed to see the floating hats and the art pieces in the park. I feel like we are often too caught up in going to places and getting our work done that we fail to slow down and admire the beauty of the city around us. 23rd Street is unique in that history and modern living coexist, and there are so many pieces of public art: whether it is architecture, monument, or protest, art is everywhere we look.

1. Gab Milata

I really like the look and layout of the collage! I definitely agree that once we get used to a certain place, we may fail to realize the history and stories that are right in front of us. This is why it’s refreshing to stop and take it all in once in a while, so that we do not take for granted all that the city has to offer.

2. Xin

I agree with your point in how we often fail to notice the art that is around us, I guess that’s what they mean by how people in NYC failed to appreciate what we have and what’s around us. We take these art pieces for granted and often don’t give it as much attention as they deserved. If it wasn’t for this class event, I would have never noticed these small pieces of art around me. I also really like the clean approach you went with the collage as it doesn’t look messy at all.

3. Anna Deng

Hi Yinglin! I understand how you feel! I have been taking the R train for as long as I can remember, and I don’t have any recollection about the hats on 23rd street station either. On my part, I believe it’s because I am so consumed with completing homework or distracted by music that I fail to really look at the small details of my surrounding. But, from now on, I’ll certainly take a closer look at possible art around me. Also, I love your collage!

4. gunjan07

I can relate with you because I always take r train because I live in Jackson heights and and I didn’t notice those arts in the station. That represents how much we are focused in our daily work and we don’t even notice the surrounding arts. BTW I loved your scrap-book.

5. elliegillis

I love the layout of your collage, especially the way it is laid against a muted background! It really brings out the warmth in the pictures. Also, I relate to you missing the hats on your commute every day! I have been seeing so much since moving here, but I feel like there is always something I don’t catch. Just a reminder to keep looking for art everywhere you go!