Professor Tenneriello's Seminar 1, Fall 2023

Journey To Campus: Art Gallery

Exhibit 1: Every journey starts somewhere and that somewhere for me is here: home. Come take this journey with me as I head to school from here. This is where I start my day by walking out the front gates and down the steps with the bright morning sun shining in my face.

Exhibit 2: This is where I head into the train station to take the F train to 23rd Street. I either take the bus, which I often do or I walk when the MTA system wants to be annoying and not work properly or show proper bus schedules.

Exhibit 3: There are usually police officers that guard the entry of the subway to make sure that nobody is jumping the turnstiles or trying to evade the MTA fare in any way. They often scare me, making me rethink the idea of jumping the turnstiles, which eventually makes me tap my card to go through.

Exhibit 4: When I exit the train at 23rd Street, I always see the paintings on the walls with dogs wearing human clothes such as rain coats, jackets and other things. I am always intrigued by the artist and their inspiration for making such murals in the subway, especially at 23rd Street.

Exhibit 5: When I exit the train station, from the downtown side, I get a glimpse at the digital board above the subway name displaying movies and other advertisements, that pique my interests once I get a good glimpse of them.

Exhibit 6: As I start my walk to school from the 23rd Street subway, I look to my right to see a towering building in the distance and notice that it is the World Trade Center. Looking at the tower reminds me of what used to be in its position and how the tower came to be the way that it is, due to the tragic events of 9/11.

Exhibit 7: I walk down about half the block and see my job building, Home Depot. I consider this my third home as it is a place that helps me earn some kind of cash and helps me to meet and greet my friendly coworkers as well as getting a chance to meet new people and engage in conversation with them.

Exhibit 8: I am nearing school and see the Flatiron building to my right. It is a massive building and its architecture is outstanding that I notice many people taking pictures as they walk by, whether they are tourists or just casual New Yorkers.

Exhibit 9: The statue marks the entrance of Madison Square park. This statue allows me to recognize how close I am to campus and allows me to get a few minutes to enjoy the park and the extravagancies it has to offer.

Exhibit 10: I make it to my final destination for this journey, Baruch College. This is my home campus and most certainly, my second home. I am able to meet new people, make friends and enjoy life here. I wouldn’t trade this feeling for anything else.

The final takeaway of this journey would show the different things I see as I go from home to campus. As I see the different art forms as I go on this journey, I come to the realization that I am not only part of one culture, not just a “Queens head”, but a New Yorker. I’m not just part of one neighborhood. I consider everywhere I go and everything I see to be my neighborhood.

1. michaelakokkinos

I like how there were descriptions of each photo so that we can almost experience the same journey to Baruch ourselves from your perspective. It’s also interesting how you called Baruch your second home and connected it back to your first exhibit.

2. dheyalasimrin

I love how you’re able to consider multiple places your home. This makes it so that your daily journey takes you from one home to another, where you are able to find comfort in different communities.

3. Xin

I like how you made each picture into an exhibit and showcasing each one with descriptions along with your own memories of the place. I also liked how you made it like we are on a journey with you and you make your way through each exhibit.