Professor Tenneriello's Seminar 1, Fall 2023

The Feminist Sense of Fashion

“The best introduction to art is to stroll through a museum. The more art you see, the more you’ll learn to define your own taste,”  says Jeanne Frank. I’ve always been captivated by exploring museums, as they contain masterpieces of art, love, fashion, culture, and elegance created by outstanding minds. There are two kinds of visitors to the museum: those who devote themselves to discovering new inventions and those who are there purely for mental tranquility. Others visit the museum merely to look around and fail to comprehend why the artwork is there. I visited the FIT museum on Wednesday, and I was enthralled with the distinctive artworks and the profound messages hidden behind each exquisite piece. I believed it was fascinating how diverse women were portrayed through their clothing since it prompted me to think quite a bit about feminism. Often viewed as “sweet” or “tempting,” the resemblance of women to food has an extended history and underscores the significance of feminist conversation.

I discovered more about the history of women and how they are regarded as food as I researched the museum; it seems that society considers women as nothing more than objects to be exploited and consumed. I additionally learned about something different, such as “The Feast for the Eyes,”  another exhibition that is comparable to the one we saw at the FIT museum. In reading about the exhibition, it is mentioned that food has been employed as a tool for expressing female sexuality, and it is an object for society to play with. I observed that the women appeared in the exhibition as cakes, chocolates, and meals, as well as their accessories. After seeing this, I couldn’t help but wonder: Are women really so alluring that they are compared to food? It also came to me that artists like “Jeremy Scott for Moschino,” “Judith Leiber Couture,” and “Chris Campbell” displayed a powerful protest against the belief held by society that women are objects that can be obtained and should be allowed to do as they like.

The Food & Fashion display highlights the historical objectification of women while also showing how fashion can be an effective means for women to regain their identities and challenge social conventions. It may be used as an opportunity to display the growing issues between genders and fashion. It serves as an indicator that, similar to cuisine, fashion reflects society and can be used to both support and disrupt deeply rooted cultural standards and assumptions. I adored this exhibition because it opened my eyes to a new way of looking at fashion—especially when it comes to feminism—because I never would have imagined food and style going hand in hand. In order to learn more about history and culture, I’m excited to look into more of this kind of artwork.

1. Anna Deng

Gunjan, you made a really good point. At the FIT exhibit I was simply just admiring how beautiful the pieces were, but you made me realize how there’s a sense of gloominess to the exhibit as it highlights how women have historically been objectified and seen as a craving for men. The chocolate dress displayed primarily speaks to this narrative as it is a sweet delectable treat many can’t help but crave.

2. verag

Much like you, I was quite in awe with the diversity of messages that food and fashion can convey, especially when intertwined. The notion that women must be sweet and desirable, like a piece of dessert, comments on the toxic stereotypes that were highly prevalent in our society. I love how you also saw another side of the exhibit that focuses on protesting these harmful notions and empowering women.

3. elliegillis

I was also very surprised to see the objectification of women and it’s relation to fashion and food throughout history. I had never seen food as a display of sexuality before, but I was also very interested to see how it has been used in that sense over the years.