Professor Tenneriello's Seminar 1, Fall 2023

MoMA’s Ecological Paintings: Future life

A stroll around the galleries of a museum can lead to thoughtful and uplifting moments for the community. Museums are vital centers for creative thinking and important conversations about art. They offer a secure environment where guests can engage with a variety of artistic forms, broadening their perspectives and enhancing their sense of awareness of the outside world. I had wanted to pay a visit to the MoMA for a while, but I was unable to make time for it. But because the assignment required me to visit whatever museum I pleased, I chose to visit the MoMA. What is modern art? Are these standards of realism and classical depiction? I was immediately captivated by the different rhythms of an innovative exhibition called “Emerging Ecologies: Architecture and the Rise of Environmentalism” at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), which seeks to rethink the basic principles of structure and its connection with the environment. While roaming around the museum, I did hope to learn more about the role that museums play in encouraging new viewpoints and the long-term influence that they can have on knowledge as well as individual growth through this research.

Considering that buildings contribute over 40% of all greenhouse gas emissions each year, this show provides a thorough examination of how architectural ideals are evolving in response to a severe environmental situation.  The idea of “emerging ecologies” comes to existence within the walls of MoMA through challenging artworks that illustrate the changing character of our social, cultural, and natural contexts. Looking around the exhibitions, I note the complicated connection that exists between art and the ever-changing environment around us. The pictures there captured my attention when I went since they depicted increasing environmental issues.  Through a range of mediums and forms of expression, artists shows the connections between different parts and the effects of actions taken by humans in order to capture the essence of changing environmental pollution. The MoMA is showcasing an array of artworks that symbolize the concept of creating ecologies and invite viewers to reflect on how we affect the planet in which we live. These works of art span a variety of mediums, from digital pieces that illustrate climate change and the impact of humans on environments to artworks that examine development and its effects on the natural world. After looking around for a while, I came to the conclusion that it offers an overview of the helpful connection between ecological and architecture in the US, which is crucial given the urgent issues about pollution, climate change, and pollution that are harming the world today. I was immediately captivated by the vast variety of artworks that covered the walls and filled the halls as I walked through the museum. Every piece seems to have a unique story, inviting me to discover more about its history.  A variety of creative works were on show at the museum, including beautiful models that created the impression of proving something different and fascinating artworks that inspired a range of feelings while expressing ideas about the environment and people.

I was shocked to see the reality that every exhibit about ecological problems is a call to action as much as a work of art. The architectural designs and models work as plans for an environmentally friendly future in which buildings support the protection of nature in addition to living peacefully with it. The exhibition’s underlying language conveys the gravity of the climate problem and serves as a major reminder to visitors that the decisions we make now about architecture will have a significant impact on the state of our world. Bangladesh, the nation where I was born and raised, is widely known for its pollution, changing climate, and natural disasters. Nobody in my nation gives any thought to the environment or how we damage it. Bangladesh has industrial emissions to be concerned about in addition to vehicle emissions because of the country’s dense urban areas, which are home to many factories and small local companies. In our nation, natural disasters are like frequent acquaintances. We are cutting down trees, destroying the greenery, and not giving the future any thought. The hazardous greenhouse gas, carbon dioxide, is rising and posing a threat to the planet. We are also introducing a new and harmful entity into our lives: COVID-19, which ought to serve as a major warning to us all.

The MoMA has built several models that illustrate the need for us to plant more trees next to our homes and the architectural framework. “Forest Building, Best Products Co. Inc. Showroom, Richmond, Virginia” by James Wines and “Green Poetics” by Emilio Ambasz are the two best examples of artwork that support my arguments regarding pollution and environmental change. James Wines’ major thoughts about this artwork were that we should keep all the trees and make buildings around them so we don’t have to cut any trees for architecture. It was something unusual for people to do because they often cut forests just to make buildings, malls, or houses. But he did something unlike what other people will do: he thought about the trees and beautiful architecture without hurting the environment. I am attaching a video in which he talks about his weird architecture and it is definitely inspiring.  Another amazing architect, Emilio Ambasz, truly made my point more visible. His buildings felt unique and like they were surrounded by vegetation. I had the impression that the greenery was the subject of the structure, which is the king. My perception of the architecture is that the greens were growing because the king was kind to his subjects and the buildings weren’t cruel to the plants, which is eco-friendly.

“Emerging Ecologies” presents an interesting and inspirational opportunity that should not be missed. This exhibition asks us to imagine a future where architecture coordinates with nature, where buildings are not simply constructions but environments in and of themselves, in a time defined by ecological disasters. We must engage with the past to enlighten the present and influence the future because of the urgency of the global warming crisis.

The effect that the artworks I saw in the museum had on me was serious, and it made me think carefully about my own viewpoints. My assumptions and interpretations were called into question by the layers of importance of each artwork I saw. I came to understand the value of asking questions, stepping outside of my comfort zone, and accepting fresh perspectives through the medium of art. A visit to a museum can have a major impact on one’s development as a person, expanding one’s perspective and fostering a closer bond with the complexities of the world we live in. I loved visiting museums, and this visit truly opened my eyes to the unknown beauty of nature and the environment.

1. Xin

I am intrigued by this exhibition at MoMA! I like how you talked about how impactful and life-changing it was for you and how it opened up your perspectives. The mini figures and structures seem cool and interesting, making me want to visit the museum and see it for myself. I also liked how you said, looking at these will make us think deeper about our planet in the past, present, and future.