Reading Response 3

Before reading these pieces and even before watching Uneven Growth, I had no idea of the extent of the housing crisis. It is absolutely heartbreaking that this city is becoming a place where only the rich can thrive; to me, this goes against the very fiber of New York City’s being. New York City is facing a threat that just keeps growing, yet it is addressing these issues with woeful inadequacy. According to the Jacobin article, De Blasio’s inclusionary zoning will not only fail to remedy the housing crisis, but it will worsen it. This is because, the Jacobin article posits, the city government is reluctant to put people before profit. If this is true (this source is openly biased, admitting it offers a leftist perspective, so the reader should be critical) it is a downright shame, especially because low-income workers far outnumber the wealthy. Quite frankly, I think NYCHA needs to get it together. The NY Daily News article shed some light on the major challenges it faces. It seems like Mayor De Blasio has his work cut out for him – hopefully NYCHA reform will restore the Authority’s effectiveness.