Reading Response 6

I found this week’s readings to be particularly interesting and especially salient, as climate change becomes the object of the largest scientific consensus since the theory of evolution. And, it is ubiquitous – the entirety of the planet is threatened by climate change; it transcends class, race, and border. As a participant in the People’s Climate March, it was heartwarming to read about the movement that I felt very lucky to be a part of. I really 994692_10152753313973120_8509852876066843074_nthink such collective action in one of the largest cities in the world (and in other cities across the globe) goes to show that citizens care about climate change, and that it cannot be ignored in favor of selectively beneficial politics, ie, our oil obsession. I was shocked to read about the depth of Bush’s failure at handling Katrina. It is downright shameful that money was diverted from basic city maintenance in order to fund largely fossil fuel motivated “wars on terror,” to supposedly protect highly vulnerable urban areas. Meanwhile, natural disasters are far more likely and more damaging than acts of terror. The article by Graham is a must-read for people studying Katrina, and even politics more generally. It sheds invaluable light on what was really going on behind the scenes pre and post Katrina.