Reading Response 8

This weeks readings seemed a bit contradictory. The author mentioned many types of community planning but then proceeded to argue why they haven’t worked out. Initially, I believed this reading would provide a solution to the displacement and gentrification problem but it didn’t. Additionally, at certain times I felt as if the author hadn’t explained each approach, such as grass root planning and rational comprehensive planning, properly. However, this was a well written introduction to the book. The author thoroughly provided a background history of each planning approach. Furthermore, this was a useful insight. I learned that displacement and gentrification is a major issue not only in New York City but all around the world. I was surprised that the housing act in the United States doesn’t specify about housing and security of tenure in comparison to housing laws in other countries. This explained why these issues have risen, Also, learning all of the various approaches will be useful in our community planning solution proposal. The author was successful in comparing and contrasting the various approaches. I think the book will achieve the author’s goal of providing a better understanding of how community land can prevent those issues while concentrating on noxious land use.

The author mentioned many approaches to community planning, which one is most efficient?