A Journey to Red Hook

Disembarking at Ikea, the frigid February air hit me like a winter freight train. Being right on the water, Red Hook was colder than my residential Borough Park, a more inland part of Brooklyn. It was Saturday, so Ikea was bustling with a mélange of visitors, spanning all ages and races. Looking around, Ikea seemed to be one of the biggest attractions in an otherwise barren and, simply put, dreary neighborhood. The air smelled of brine and exhaust from the many buses and shuttles coming and going. I decided to begin walking towards Fairway, another hotspot of activity that I knew of in the area.

The very presence of a Fairway leads one to believe that the neighborhood is on the up and up; Fairway is expensive, suggesting residents that can afford to purchase organic products. This is interesting because the neighborhood itself doesn’t seem too ritzy; much of the infrastructure is dilapidated and rather unattractive, consisting largely of brick buildings and abandoned lots. And yet, it would appear to be going through the process of gentrification.

When I got there it was indeed busy, with a full parking lot and countless residents hurrying either to the warmth of the store or the heat of the car. Right by Fairway there is a little riverside promenade with a view of both the Statue of Liberty and the Freedom Tower. Because it was so cold, not many people ventured by, although a few brave souls did meander through. I saw mostly young, hip-looking white people during my time on the promenade. This seems to reinforce my initial inkling that the neighborhood is gentrifying. After a frigid fifteen minutes by the river, I strolled over to a main street where I could observe more of Red Hook’s community and culture.

Van Brunt Street seemed like a contradiction. This seemingly run-down neighborhood contained a multitude of upscale establishments: bars, cafes, bakeries, restaurants, and more. This contrasted profoundly with the graffiti and the littered lots. I couldn’t help but wonder: what’s going on in this neighborhood? How could it be simultaneously wealthy and run-down? I hope future research will shed some light on this strange situation.

On Van Brunt, I came across a bakery and cafe called “Baked.” I stopped in for a cup of coffee, not only to get out of the cold, but also to observe locals in a comfortable setting. I was immediately greeted by the aroma of cupcakes, cookies, and coffee, and the sounds of pleasant chitter chatter. I ordered a red velvet cupcake and a cup of coffee, and sat down for an hour. It seemed to be a popular place because tons of people were there, laughing and talking while savoring the (admittedly delicious) baked goods. It reminded me of the show “Cheers-“ the baristas knew some of the patrons’ names; it was a genuinely friendly and warm environment. Although still, most of the people there were young and white. There was even a Steve Buscemi look alike!

My day in Red Hook was simultaneously informative and puzzling. I left with even more questions than I came with. What is driving gentrification here? How is it affecting residents, both old and new? What is housing like, especially in light of a recent influx of richer residents? Even now as I reflect, more and more questions become apparent. Hopefully our research on Red Hook will help tease out some of these issues, to better help Red Hook navigate both these phenomena and its future.